xliff compatibility query
Thread poster: SepiaT
SepiaT
Sweden
Local time: 11:50
Swedish to English
Jun 6, 2014

Hello all,
I'm a newish and only occasional user, forgive me if the answers to the following should be transparent.

When attempting to open and edit a file in Studio 2011 (Freelance), from a package created in Studio 2014, I'm confronted with:

"This file was created using a file type definition that does not exist on your system (XLIFF 1.1-1.2 v 2.0.0.0). The following functionality will be restricted or unavailable: Saving, Verification, QuickTags, Preview)."

Is this merely the inevitable result of old software not supporting new formats? Is there an option to create packages compatible with previous versions in Studio 2014? From what I can see in SDL's help pages, there is no such thing, but I could very well be overlooking something.

Thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Correct... Jun 6, 2014

... you can still translate, but you won't be able to use the things listed.

Regards

Paul

SepiaT
Sweden
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Now upgraded.. Jun 6, 2014

..to the 2014 version and still having the same issue. Any ideas?

Thanks for the reply

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Can I see the XLIFF? Jun 7, 2014

Hi,

The filetype version you quoted is the current 2014 version. 2209/2011 was XLIFF 1.1-1.2 v 1.0.0.0 so with 2014 you should not get this message.

If you have an XLIFF file perhaps you can test this by opening in Studio, change to TagID mode and make sure that the correct filetype is being used. You'll be able to see the filetype in use when you use TagID mode.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

SepiaT
Sweden
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
I can't .. Jun 9, 2014

.. share the xliff I'm afraid. Things seem to be partially righted themselves, so I'll shut this down I think. Appreciate the responses Paul.

Tolstyy
Latvia
Same error Apr 1, 2015

Hi Paul,

I am getting a very similar error, but only with a PDF file.
- I got a Project Package from the client.
- I opened it in my Studio 2014
- I get the following message:
"This file was created using a file type definition that does not exist on your system PDF v 2.0.0.0). The following functionality will be restricted or unavailable: Saving, Verification, QuickTags, Preview)."

I tried the test you suggested: I opened one of the SDLXLIFFs in Editor, changed to Tag ID mode - it shows PDF v 2.0.0.0. Does it means I do have this on my system?

Why do I keep getting this error message?

Thanks!

Alex

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Here too Apr 1, 2015

I will also be interested in this, as I got the same error in a package I received yesterday. I was able to Verify one segment at a time by using ctr+Enter on each, and if Verify did discover an error, it flagged the segment. But I was not able to Verify the whole file, and definitely not all files in one go. I also got problems with running spell check.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

xliff compatibility query

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search