Thread poster: EirikWS

EirikWS  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 03:42
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Jun 11, 2014

Hi everyone

So I think I'm finally getting to grips with Trados Studio (I'm using the 2011 edition). However, there is one thing I don't quite get. So I've created a new project, added the necessary files and added a TM (in the .tmx format) which was sent to me by my client. I've been translating away for an hour or so, making sure every now and then that the changes are indeed committed to the TM, which they were -- until suddenly they weren't any longer, or at least I can't see them in the "Translation Memories" view. Why does that happen, and does it mean the TM isn't being updated any longer? Can I do something about it? I should perhaps add that the actual file that contains the TM is still being updated, at least Windows changes the "Last changed" property for every change I make. I do hope someone will take a minute out of their precious time to explain this to me!

EDIT: So I decided to figure out what's going on. I made some changes and committed them to the TM before I exported it to .tmx, during which process it said "Saving x entries". Then I made another change and repeated the process; it then said "Saving x+1 entries". So clearly it is still being updated. But why won't it show me the changes? I suppose so long as I know that the translation memory is in fact being updated, I don't need to see what's in it (the Editor view does that, after all). But still it seems curious. Anyone care to explain?

[Edited at 2014-06-11 21:43 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:42
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I do not have a lot of experience using... Jun 12, 2014

...CAT tools, but I think that you are not supposed to commit to the TM until you are finished with the project.

Doing so will not propagate (or automatically insert) all of the repetitions and matches all the way throughout the document the way committing to the TM will, but when you click on each segment individually, anything that you have previously translated in that particular document should appear and you can press control-insert to enter it.

If you commit everything to the TM as you go, you will end up with several versions of the segment in the TM and next time you have another document with a match, you (or the other translator using the TM) may not know or remember which version is the right one.

However, I could be wrong about this, so wait for others to respond.

[Edited at 2014-06-12 00:46 GMT]

Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 22:42
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
Update vs. Commit and tiny buttons Jun 12, 2014

(...) until suddenly they weren't any longer, or at least I can't see them in the "Translation Memories" view

I'm sure this is a semantics issue, but the TM already has what it had originally (the entries you imported), and if you're working in the Editor view, i.e., translating a bilingual .sdlxliff file, every segment you "commit" to the TM (CTRL+ENTER or "confirm") is not an update of existing records but a creation of a new record in the same TM.

Perhaps the confusion lies with the TM view, that has a tiny tiny arrow to scroll among the entries (by default it shows the first 50 records or so). Each new segment you confirm in the Editor view should automatically be added to the TM and "shown" on the last page. Or perhaps you're not refreshing the TM view and that's why you can't see the new records (click on the search button I highlighted with no terms or filters selected, just a blank empty lookup).

Sorry about the Spanish localization of the screenshot (which is sanitized to protect the innocent), but I imagine you can find the buttons all the same

EirikWS  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 03:42
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but Jun 12, 2014

Jeff, Rossana, thank you for your replies.

Perhaps I have been a little vague -- I'm not too familiar with the terminology here. When I said "commit," I was referring to the thing you do when you press CTRL+ENTER in the Editor view to confirm a segment. As I said, whenever I would do this, the corresponding segment would turn up in the TM in the TM view -- until it stopped.

At Rossana's helpful suggestion I've tried resetting the search, leafing through the "pages" in the TM view and updating it (as well as doing what this lady suggests: http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/02/27/update-tm/), but to no avail. I'm really at a loss here.

However, as I wrote above, I tried exporting the TM to a .tmx file to see if it was still being updated, which it seems to be. When I export the document ("Save Target As") it also seems to take new changes I make into account. So in practice it might not be a problem. But I would just like to understand what's going on here.

[Edited at 2014-06-12 02:39 GMT]

Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 22:42
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
Are you sure... Jun 12, 2014

you are viewing the same TM you are exporting? (same filename and filepath)

The navigation frame should help locating it, or you can close all the TMs currently shown and open it again manually (the TM viewer is "independent" from the project you're working on, meaning you could be viewing a different TM in the viewer and commiting to another TM in the project settings).

If it is indeed the same, could you be working with different language pairs? (so you're viewing one language variant and updating another?).

Barring those, I'm fresh out of ideas!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Noob question re: updating TMs

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search