External Review function
Thread poster: Christin Lee

Christin Lee
Local time: 09:24
Jun 12, 2014

Hi guys,

I met problems in Studio 2011.

First, when I open the package for translation, a pop-up box said: Dependency file not found, would you like to browse for this file?

Then I clicked NO, after that I still can open and translate in Studio successfully. So I guess everything should be ok, right?

Second, after finishing translation, when I click "Export for external review" to get a review file for the proofreader, I did get a word file for Review successfully.
And the proofreader reviewed in the file I sent, after that, I tried to "Update from external review", a pop-up box came into existence, I don't remember that it says. I did try to accept all track changes in the review file, still failed anyway.

Could you please tell me where I did wrong? Why can't I get the import done?

The reason I need to know how to import Review is the proofreader works with 2009, she doesn't have 2011. So I have to do the export & import.

Thanks in advance~

Direct link Reply with quote

Christin Lee
TOPIC STARTER
One more question Jun 12, 2014

Also do you have any idea about how to convert 2011 Studio file into 2009 Studio file?

Thanks~

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:24
English
No need... Jun 12, 2014

Christin Lee wrote:

Also do you have any idea about how to convert 2011 Studio file into 2009 Studio file?

Thanks~

... to do this because they are both sdlxliff. There may be a few things that are contained in the later versions of an sdlxliff that Studio 2009 won't know about but you should still be able to translate a file created in 2011 with 2009.

Regards

Paul

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:24
English
Working between versions Jun 12, 2014

Christin Lee wrote:

Hi guys,

I met problems in Studio 2011.

First, when I open the package for translation, a pop-up box said: Dependency file not found, would you like to browse for this file?

Then I clicked NO, after that I still can open and translate in Studio successfully. So I guess everything should be ok, right?

To translate everything will be fine. But you won't be able to do some things such as save the target file for example. So just translate and send it back to the person who first created it and they will be able to get the target file.

Christin Lee wrote:

Second, after finishing translation, when I click "Export for external review" to get a review file for the proofreader, I did get a word file for Review successfully.
And the proofreader reviewed in the file I sent, after that, I tried to "Update from external review", a pop-up box came into existence, I don't remember that it says. I did try to accept all track changes in the review file, still failed anyway.

Could you please tell me where I did wrong? Why can't I get the import done?

The reason I need to know how to import Review is the proofreader works with 2009, she doesn't have 2011. So I have to do the export & import.

Ok, first of all here’s a quick explanation of the things that can go wrong in this process and this might help you to identify why this didn’t work.

• If the review file is opened in an older version of Word then it will lose all the embedded xml we use to recognise the file (so, Word 2007 and above is recommended – DOCX only)
  • If the reviewer opens the file you send them, or if you do this when it comes back, directly from your email client then the file is unlikely to behave as intended. I don’t know why, but I have come across this behaviour. So always save the file to the desktop (or the folder you want to keep it in) first and then open it to work on it.
  • If you share Projects with another user by placing the Project files on a shared drive then the sdlproj file may have some of its information changed. So if you create the review file, then another user tries to bring the review file back in on another computer then it probably won’t import correctly.
  • If the reviewer deletes or adds rows into the bilingual table then the file will not import.
  • If the reviewer deletes the little red tags this may also cause a problem for you, either on import or when saving the target file at the end.

The best thing I can suggest is that you try again (if you still have the original file the reviewer returned to you). There is no need to accept all the changes in Word as you can do this in Studio, and there is no need to rename the file (although maybe you can rename the original in case you need to go back to it).

If you can’t do this, or if it doesn’t work, then try this:

• Create a new export for review file from your Project
  • Copy the contents of the target column from the one you received already over the target column of your new one
  • Update from external review with that one

Hopefully there will be enough information in here to help you get to the bottom of this one.

Regards

Paul

Christin Lee
TOPIC STARTER
Is this right? Jun 12, 2014

First thanks a bunch for your prompt reply as always, Paul!!!!!!!!!!!

About my first question, hmm...I did try to send the translator the original Studio 2011 package, but he/she would say they can't open 2011 with 2009.

So what I normally do would be opening the Studio Package, get the sdlxliffs, send those sdlxliffs to them for translation in 2009. After they deliver sdlxliffs, I would use those sdlxliffs to update my TM, then create the return package eventually.

Did I do the right move?

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:24
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Dependency files lost Jun 13, 2014

I had this happened several times, and I arrived at the conclusion that leaving the Editor open in Studio 2011 was "exposing" those files to being deleted by some background process.

I don't know whether that is true, but I stopped doing that. I close the Editor even when going to the kitchen for a cup of coffee. I never had this problem again, and have been able to produce target files and export smoothly every time.

Christin Lee
TOPIC STARTER
I'm not following Jun 16, 2014

Luisa Ramos, CT wrote:

I had this happened several times, and I arrived at the conclusion that leaving the Editor open in Studio 2011 was "exposing" those files to being deleted by some background process.

I don't know whether that is true, but I stopped doing that. I close the Editor even when going to the kitchen for a cup of coffee. I never had this problem again, and have been able to produce target files and export smoothly every time.

Gracias, Luisa, pero......I'm not following, what do you mean by "close the Editor"?

I mean when we open the Package or the sdlxliff, the Editor interface will come into existence anyway, right? How am I supposed to close it when I need to translate in the Editor interface?

Please advise~

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

External Review function

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search