what MS Office for SDL Studio 2011
Thread poster: MartaFS

MartaFS
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:21
English to Spanish
Jun 21, 2014

Hello,
I seem to have done my shopping in the wrong order and it is complicating things. I posed the following question to SDL and it seems an admin person answered instead of a technician, inserting a link to a public forum that did not clarified matters much. I posed the question on a Trados forum and I wonder if more people agrees with the answer.

I first bought a SDL Studio 2011 license. A year later I bought a Windows 8 Samsung laptop. Now I need to buy MS Office. The price of Office has increased significantly and, though one can claim it as an expense, I would rather not spend more than necessary.

I have been told I need to buy the professional version of MS Office 2013 for it to be compatible with Studio 2011. Can I use the Office Home and Business one?

Thank you in advance for your help

Best regards,

Marta

Direct link Reply with quote

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 05:21
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Yes you can Jun 21, 2014

Just make sure you have Studio 2011 updated to the latest Service Pack and Cumulative Update.

Also, you might want to take a look at Office 365 instead of buying the standalone version.

MartaFS
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I think 365 is incompatible Jun 21, 2014

Hi,
Thanks but how do you know, please?
Someone in a Yahoo forum told me that, of all the versions, the only one that was definitively not compatible with Studio was the 365. He said it was because of the way it downloaded.
I understand the 365 is a version that one rents anyway, and I am looking to save money long term, so renting is not what I would prefer.
Thank you anyway.
Kind regards,
Marta

Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Office is Office Jun 22, 2014

All 2013 versions work the same from a technical standpoint. The differences are in the license terms and what components (i.e. Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) can be installed and activated by the license.

Office 365 is no different. If you buy the appropriate version you get the full download of the software suite - just like the standalone version, plus some other cloud "perks" that you may or may not need.
Also, as far as I know the standalone version is licensed to one computer only (used to be 2 or 3; surprise, MS wants to make the subscription base model more lucrative), whereas with the business version of office 365 I think that each user gets a license for a desktop, laptop, and one mobile device.

You can also buy the Home version of Office 365 that gives you 5 licenses, although it should be noted that legally it is a grey area because technically this version is not intended for "commercial use".

As far as money saving goes, eventually you would have to upgrade your office version. Some upgrade to every new version, some upgrade to every other version, and some don't upgrade unless they absolutely have to. Depending on the category you fall into, the subscription based model might actually be more cost-effective in the long term. Note that under the license of Office 365 you get every new version as part of your subscription, and in the long term I'm not sure if MS will even continue to offer standalone versions (and if they would, they will be ridiculously priced, as is the case right now).

Depending on what you need Office for, and if you budget is the main concern, you can also try to get a new or "used" license for Office 2010 Home and Business on eBay, a store, or something. The standalone version was priced much more more reasonably than the equivalent Office 2013 version (again, because they want to push people to Office 365).

XXXphxxx  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Good advice Jun 22, 2014

I have Office 365 and it ran perfectly with Studio 2011 (I recently upgraded to 2014). The other big bonus about Office 365 is that it comes with a permanent warranty so if you have any issues you just contact a technical person and they'll fix it remotely. I've found the support to be pretty good.

MartaFS
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
thanks and request for clarification Jun 22, 2014

Hello Shai,
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I have noticed your profile says you are using SDL Trados 2007, just like me. Do you know then the information you are giving from somebody else's experience or from your own experience using the mentioned software?

Hi Lisa,
From Shai's post, there are different versions of 365. What version did you go for, please? It is great to know from direct experience that some do work with Studio 2011.

I use Office for commercial use, so I would not be able to buy the Home version.

Thanking in advance for any answer

Kind regards,

Marta

Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
My profile is outdated Jun 22, 2014

I haven't updated my profile in quite some time.
I'm no longer using Trados 2007, but that is besides the point.

I wouldn't have replied unless I knew at least something about what I'm talking about. I'm not in the business of misleading anyone on purpose.

With Office 365 you have two options: Personal or Home (the grey area), or Small Business.

Both will work just the same. The differences are in the license, not technical.

[Edited at 2014-06-22 15:47 GMT]

MartaFS
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jun 22, 2014

Hello,
I never implied anything by my question. I think it was understandable. You could have written what another person had told you, you see. Nothing personal to be worried about. Never mind.

So at least I know that 365, which I was not planning to get, is ok+ some other very useful information.
Thank you very much to you both.
Kind regards,
Marta

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:21
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Real-time preview issue Jun 22, 2014

MartaFS wrote:

I have been told I need to buy the professional version of MS Office 2013 for it to be compatible with Studio 2011. Can I use the Office Home and Business one?

Any version of MS Office 2013 is fine for Studio 2011 and for Studio 2014. The only drawback is that you won't get a real-time preview of your target document.
This is because MS Office no longer ships with an MSI installer, unless, as you say, you get the full blown professional version, which is probably overkill for a translator. All other versions are now click-to-run.

There is no difference between a one-off license purchase and the 365 subscription in this respect.
More details here:
http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:5013

FYI, I am running Studio 2014, Windows 8.1 and MS Office 2013 Home&Business. Lack of real-time preview is not a problem for me, but I think SDL should move away from its dependence on MS components for this feature and find another solution.

HTH,
Emma

MartaFS
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
real time preview issue: thank you Jun 22, 2014

Hi,
Thank you very much. I use that all the time.
I will contact SDL again and ask them to please list me all one misses out on if buying versions other than the very expensive professional.
Why didn't I buy my computer with MS Office bundled in...? (as I did with my old one)
BW
Marta

Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Use Standard Preview Jun 23, 2014

This whole Click-to-Run thing is yet another testament to the degree of disconnect between MS and its customers' needs, and how they irresponsibly just doing whatever they want even when it breaks the functionality their customers are relying on.
Sadly, SDL Studio is heavily dependent on external libraries and components from other developers - components that SDL doesn't control and therefore theoretically can break Studio functionality at any given moment.

I second Emma's call to do away with all those dependencies, but I wouldn't hold my breath in anticipation.

Personally, I think that the Live Preview feature in Studio is a minor feature and certainly not a deal-breaker. From my experience, even when it works it is quite buggy. You can always use the standard Preview, which work better in my opinion, but this is just me.

I would strongly advise not to buy Office 2013 Professional just for the MSI. It is just a waste of money and an unacceptable premium to pay if the only motivation behind it is to get the Live Preview (sometimes) working.
By the way, buying a computer with a preinstalled version of Office 2013 (unless it is the Pro one, and then you would have paid that premium anyway; if such a computer-software configuration even exists) wouldn't have helped. The issue is that the CTR version comes precofigured by MS and doesn't install some of the components that are needed for third-party softwares/addins to enable some (or sometimes all) of their functionality.

Instead there are couple of options:
1) You can switch to the standard preview - which I think is the easiest solution. Until MS will come around around or SDL change the preview mechanism, both are not expected anytime soon, this is something that as a Studio user (hopefully by choice) you have to accept and adapt your workflow accordingly.
2) You can buy Office 2010. Some versions also come in the CTR configuration, but MSIs should still be available for download for all versions.
3) You said that you already have a version of Office (that came with your previous computer). If you are happy with it, why not install that version on the new computer? Even it it is an OEM license. If you have issues activating it on the new computer, call your local MS help center and they should help you with it (unless they have gone completely mad and evil).

[Edited at 2014-06-23 01:41 GMT]

MartaFS
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
ms 2003 Jun 23, 2014

Hi,
Thanks again for these very helpful answers.

I think I was very lucky when I bought my old computer and things are very different now, usability and price-wise:
*I haggled to buy it with MS Office 2003 Pro installed and I got it
*I got the disks for Windows and for Office, so reformatting later on was a piece of cake
*I got XP just by chance, which worked better than the soon-after-released Vista
*All worked beautifully together (and still does), and, since I was already familiar with all the software, I could just use it straight away
*I managed to get a deal for some electronic dictionaries

All I had to do was to concentrate on learning how to improve my translation skills (practice, practice, practice). Life was just technologically perfect! But now...

...my old computer could die any time, so I need to update. I bought SDL Studio because I regularly use Trados and I wanted to get up-to-date. I am not sure if I can use my old MS Office 2003 with the new computer, probably not (had not even considered it).

It looks like I have a lot to learn (installation, new Windows, new Office, new SDL, new names for similar functions -I had no idea there were two Previews-).

Thanks for bearing with me and for helping me on the way. I might go for the non-pro, business one then.

Shai, someone in the Trados Yahoo forum recommended the 2010 Office too, they said the 2010 non pro versions worked better than the 2013 equivalents, with Studio 2011. I suppose 2010 would be cheaper too. I will look into how buying from eBay works.

From what you mention it is Microsoft and not SDL who could clarify the matter further.

Thank you very much!

Marta

[Edited at 2014-06-23 13:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-06-24 10:55 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what MS Office for SDL Studio 2011

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search