Thread poster: Mpoma

Mpoma  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:35
French to English
Jun 22, 2014

Hello all,

I have just got SDL Trados Studio 2014.

Prior to that, for many years, I had been using Trados 6.5 Workbench. I had no desire to change to anything new, don't really believe in TM technology anyway, think Trados is a rubbish product, and am deeply unimpressed with Studio 2014.

But I realised that compromises have to be made to keep clients happy. Bless 'em.

The nature of the problem:
I would like to be able to continue to translate mainly in WB 6.5... and then export as a TMX, import this into a Studio 2014 TM... and generally do that sort of thing.

But WB 6.5 produces TMXs which are 1) version 1.1, 2) contain all sorts of notorious < ut > tags, etc.

Going the other way, the TMX 1.4s produced by Studio 2014 *seem* to be imported OK by WB 6.5 but in fact the slightest tag (and for that matter things like apostrophes and "backticks") cause WB 6.5's import function to crash, stop and generally not work.

I'm assuming there is no solution to this... but on the assumption that tens of thousands of people have been confronted by this same nonsense, and presumably spent days tearing what was left of their hair out, I just thought I'd ask if anyone had a solution.

NB my system is Windows 7... but of course WB 6.5 doesn't work in W7 so I'm using a "virtual OS" with XP. It's not very good but it just about does the job.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Mpoma

[Edited at 2014-06-22 18:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-06-22 18:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-06-22 18:43 GMT]

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Mpoma: Jun 22, 2014

Are you sure Workbench 6.5 doesn't work on Win7? I'm pretty sure it does.

I think you can use CafeTran to clean the Trados codes from those TMXs. Not sure about converting them from 1.1 to 1.4 or vice versa, maybe Xbench?

Michael

Mpoma  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
@Michael Jun 22, 2014

Hi Michael,

Do you mind me asking if you know someone who has got WB 6.5 to work in W7? If you can actually name someone and give me their email that would be great.

I have always come up against a NET Framework problem. There's a file included with WB 6.5 which is called dotnetfx.exe which needs to be run to "install NET". But it installs NET Fwk 1.1...

Also my machine with W7 is a 64-bit machine, annoyingly.

Believe me, I have spent hours trying to get it to work: uninstalling the W7 NET Fwk (4.5.1) and then trying to install 1.1 etc.

Fortunately I have no more hair left to tear out.

XBench... never heard of it... but just googled it and ... it's FREEEEEEEEEE..... Hurrah. Will try.

Thanks

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TMX conversion Jun 22, 2014

Oops, I have WB 8.5, not 6.5.

You might also want to have a look here:

‘How to convert tmx 1.4 down to tmx 1.1’ (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/OmegaT/conversations/topics/1157 )

‘How to convert from .tmx to .tmx 1.4b?’
(http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/227495-how_to_convert_from_tmx_to_tmx_14b.html )

If you want you can send me one of these TMXs and I will see if I can figure out a way to delete the tags that are causing the problems. Not sure about the ‘backticks’ etc.

To be honest, if I were you I’d probably ditch Trados altogether and use CafeTran. But that’s just me;)

Michael

PS: If anyone will be able to solve this problem it will be Paul Filkin. You should probably ask him. -> http://multifarious.filkin.com/

[Edited at 2014-06-22 21:14 GMT]

Luiz Barucke
Brazil
Local time: 21:35
Member (2013)
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Trados with W7 Jun 23, 2014

Hi,

I'm not sure about version 6.5, but I have Trados 7 running on Windows Xp, 7 and 8 without problem, 32 and 64-bit.

What I've heard is that Trados does not work with an Office newer than 2003, regardless of the OS version.

[Editada em 2014-06-23 02:54 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

incompatible TMXs

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search