Problem when converting back to Word
Thread poster: Anna Morvern

Anna Morvern  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 10:14
French to English
+ ...
Jun 25, 2014

I'm working in SDL Trados Freelance 2011 and I'm trying to save the target file. The error message says that there is a problem converting back to Word.
I have run verification and looked for faulty tags and corrected any. The only other error messages are now in relation to minor issues such as spacing or number format deviating from the source (all of which are intentional).
My deadline to submit this assignment is in just over an hour, so I would be really grateful for any help, particularly from SDL Trados if anyone from the company is online?
Thank you in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:14
English
Saving target Jun 25, 2014

Hi Anna,

I am leaving the office in 5/10 mins so can't do more at the moment, especially without more details of what the error says exactly.

But perhaps, if you are sure this is a problem that cannot be resolved using F8, you could try this.

1. Open the source again using Open Document so you have a new single file project
2. Pretranslate the file from your TM
3. Try saving again

If that still won't work then the steps in this KB may be helpful:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=3696&source=Article&c=12&cid=23

Failing that please feel free to email me the original source file, and your fully translated sdlxliff, and I can take a look when I get back in a few hours time.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Ireland
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but no luck... Jun 25, 2014

Thank you for your quick reply, Paul. I tried what you suggested first but that has not worked, unfortunately.

It is possible there is a problem with the source file - this is a fairly short document so some of the solutions on the thread for further advice do not apply.

I have asked the translation agency what they would like me to do and I may need to come back to you later. If you haven't left the office yet, is there a colleague who might be able to help in your absence as our deadline is noon?

Thanks.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:14
English
Back now... Jun 25, 2014

... so if it's not too late, and if you still have the problem, please do send it through.

Regards

Paul

Hazel Underwood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Sorted? Jun 25, 2014

Hi Anna,

Did you get this sorted in the end?

Feel free to shout if you ever get stuck again! Trados has never beaten me yet ;o)

Kind regards,

Hazel

Ireland
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, sorted! Jun 25, 2014

Hi

The agency happily resolved this - they saved the document in another format (docx as opposed to RTF) and pre-translated.

Thanks Paul and Hazel for offers of help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem when converting back to Word

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search