Thread poster: Thomas Johansson

Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:29
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jun 26, 2014

I just received a Trados project (Trados 2011) consisting of a lot of small files (about 100). Suppose I start translating the project and at one point decide that I would like to change my translation of a specific source term, or various source terms. Is there then a way I can search for the relevant source term in all the source files in an efficient way?

My impression from Trados right now is that I would need to open and search each file individually. (The Search popup window only allows to Look in the "current document" but not for instance all documents of the project.) But this would be extremely time-consuming.

Alternatively, if there is no way to search all files in an efficient way, how should I modify my word rate for this project to compensate for the extra time?

Thomas

Direct link Reply with quote

Amnon Shapira  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 11:29
Member (2011)
English to Hebrew
Use TM Jun 26, 2014

Hello Thomas,
the way to solve your problem is to use your TM as follows:
1. open the TM
2. find and replace on Target the words to be changed. you may use "Replace All" or go one at a time, there should not be too many repititions.
3. run an automatice translation of the already translated files (or go back to autotranslate the source files). This should do it.

I can't help with the "accounting" problem you have raised.

Good Luck.

viking modena  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:29
Member (2012)
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
Use some other software Jun 26, 2014

There are other programs that allow you to compare files, not only to search a single word in "what file was that", but also to see if your translation is consistant, if numbers are OK and so.
I want to be neutral, so I won't make advertisement for any specific of them, but look out on the net!

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
German to Greek
+ ...
merge files Jun 26, 2014

The best way to work with a large number of small files is to merge them before starting the translation. It works very well, saves a lot of time (opening files, navigating from one file to another) and solves the "search all" issue.

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:29
English to German
+ ...
Re-translation of source texts is one possible way Jun 26, 2014

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm wrote:

The best way to work with a large number of small files is to merge them before starting the translation. It works very well, saves a lot of time (opening files, navigating from one file to another) and solves the "search all" issue.

Merging is not easily done when formats/layouts (with tables) are very different.
And in the end,you do have to separate the files. You can easily destroy formats and layouts.That could end up being a big mess.
If you decide to use new terms and you use the same TM for all files, at least the TM is updated which means you could run the source files from scratch again and the TM will be automatically translate them with the latest terms (with auto-translate function).
Paul from SDL support might read this and furnish the perfect method soon.

B

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
German to Greek
+ ...
@Bernhard Jun 26, 2014

You are probably right. I have never had a problem with merging/unmerging files, but it might well be that I never had to deal with anything else than .doc(x).

I also use the alternative you suggest, but I find it more time-consuming. It is also important to create and use a project TM for this, to avoid using possibly differently translated 100% matches from older translations.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Search & Replace across files Jun 26, 2014

Hi Thomas,

With Studio 2011 you are somewhat limited to the methods already suggested here. So use your TM, or merge the files in your Project before you start so you have a single file to work on. You could have course use a text editor to make the changes in the sdlxliff files. EditPadPro has a good batch file facility for example. But I wouldn't do this unless you are very comfortable working with the native sdlxliff files. Alternatively try ApSic Xbench which handles batches of sdlxliff files in a neat and controlled way. I mentioned Xbench below under Studio 2014 because it's nicely integrated there but you can use it as a standalone tool for files from Studio 2009/2011 as well.

I'll mention a couple of methods in Studio 2014 in case it's useful for someone using this version and wondering the same thing.

Merging files
You can merge the files before you create the Project as was possible in earlier versions. But in 2014 you can also merge the files at any time afterwards. So this makes it easier to select the files you want to be handled as one and then open them as one file.

SDLXLIFF Toolkit : http://goo.gl/OH083Q
This is a free tool on the OpenExchange that allows you to do many useful operations on sdlxliff files, or Studio projects. This includes making search & replace operations across as many files or projects as you like in one go. The changes can be in source or target, and you can use regular expressions too. There's a little more info on this tool here : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-tu

ApSic Xbench : http://goo.gl/dFR7AG
In addition, if you use ApSic Xbench, this has supported sdlxliff files for a while and you could use this not only for QA but also for search and replace across multiple files. I think this is quite a nice tool and very useful addition to your toolset. Furthermore in Studio 2014 you can download a plugin from the OpenExchange that will allow you to use this from within Studio and make changes to your files interactively.

I don't quite understand the comment on checking consistency because you can do this in Studio. There are many built in checks, but you can also create custom rules to check for most things. It can be tricky, but there is a lot more flexibility here than many users realise.

Regards

Paul

United States
English to German
+ ...
Merging and separating Jun 26, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

Merging files
You can merge the files before you create the Project as was possible in earlier versions. But in 2014 you can also merge the files at any time afterwards. So this makes it easier to select the files you want to be handled as one and then open them as one file.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Does merging the files mean you can then easily separate them again at the end of the process?
Reason I ask is because I quoted on a project yesterday which contains about 40 files, the majority in Word, a few in Excel,and a few PPT's (I wasn't going to include the PPT-files -all that shows in SDL are the headers). These files all relate to the same subject and use many terms over and over again.

Does merging them mean they are connected like on a string or do they become one file - which would have me worried about the different layouts (tables etc.) in the files - but you say merging is possible after the beginning of the project in 2014? What does that do to the individual files? How do I ensure I can return all those files in the target language as separate files without having messed up the layout?

I use 2009 - so how would I best deal with this if I start using a new word for a term let's say in file # 30 when I used a different word for it in all of the previous 29 files if I know I used the term before but am not sure about all the instances and want to correct all these previous instances?

Thank you,

B

[Edited at 2014-06-26 15:01 GMT]

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:29
English to Spanish
@Bernhard Sulzer Jun 26, 2014

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

SDL Support wrote:

Merging files

Paul

Hi Paul,

Does merging the files mean you can then easily separate them again at the end of the process?

The original files remain untouched. Copies of the source files are placed automatically in the target file folder.

Just a copy of the text with its attributes is extracted and merged into one file. The files themselves do not get merged, therefore, there is no need to separate them.

Although the resulting file is one big file, you still are able to see the boundaries between consecutive files in the editor window.

The enormous benefit is that you have access to all the text from all the files simultaneously in one single file.

Once the text is translated, when you save to target it is incorporated into copies of the original files. These copies are located in the target language folder.

If you open the target language files (Excel, Word, InDesign, PowerPoint, etc.), they look exactly like the original files, only translated.

[Edited at 2014-06-26 15:43 GMT]

United States
English to German
+ ...
Project with multiple files and file formats Jun 26, 2014

Miguel Carmona wrote:

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

SDL Support wrote:

Merging files

Paul

Hi Paul,

The original files remain untouched.

Just the text with its attributes is extracted and merged. Although it looks like one big file, you still are able to see the boundaries between consecutive files in the editor window.

The enormous benefit is that you have access to all the text from all the files simultaneously in one single file.

Once the text is translated, when you save to target it is incorporated into copies of the original files. These copies are located in the target language folder.

If you open the target language files (Excel, Word, InDesign, PowerPoint, etc.), they look exactly like the original files, only translated.

[Edited at 2014-06-26 15:35 GMT]

Hi Miguel,

So do you first "create"a project and then enter all files into that project (like pulling them all into SDL somehow)? And can you do this with the version I use (2009)?

Thx

B

United States
English to Spanish
... Jun 26, 2014

Hi Bernard,

Yes, at the time you créate your project, you pull all your translatable files into the wizard window. The wizard takes you by the hand from beginning to end.

When you set up your project in the project wizard, there is one step for adding files (Excel, InDesign, Word, etc.) to the project. Then you can merge the files.

Once you add the files, if you select them, a new option (Merge) appears at the top of the wizard window. If you click on the Merge button, the merge file is created, with all the text and its attributes from all individual files.

Yes, merging files is a function of Studio 2009.

United States
English to German
+ ...
Continuity Jun 26, 2014

Miguel Carmona wrote:

Hi Bernard,

Yes, at the time you créate your project, you pull all your translatable files into the wizard window. The wizard takes you by the hand from beginning to end.

Yes, merging files is a function of Studio 2009.

Thanks a lot, Miguel.
In the end, updating the TM will take care of the continuity - the latest version of a term will be used across all files -, right?

Bernhard

[Edited at 2014-06-26 16:13 GMT]

United States
English to Spanish
... Jun 26, 2014

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

In the end, updating the TM will take care of the continuity - the latest version of a term will be used -, right?

Yes, you are right, if you have updated your TM with the latest version of a term, the translat¡ons offered by the Studio editor will contain the updated term.

[Edited at 2014-06-26 16:56 GMT]

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:29
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Xbench - Search, (but not replace) Jun 26, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

ApSic Xbench : http://goo.gl/dFR7AG
In addition, if you use ApSic Xbench, this has supported sdlxliff files for a while and you could use this not only for QA but also for search and replace across multiple files. I think this is quite a nice tool and very useful addition to your toolset. Furthermore in Studio 2014 you can download a plugin from the OpenExchange that will allow you to use this from within Studio and make changes to your files interactively.

Paul

Xbench is a wonderful tool, and I highly recommend it. Note however that while it offers excellent search options, it is not a “search and replace” tool - it searches, and it does a variety of QA checks, but any replace operations have to be done outside Xbench.

Daniel Meier  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
SDL Batch Find/Replace Jun 26, 2014

Another possibility is SDL Batch Find/Replace

http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/sdlbatchfindreplace-35.html

However, you will have to bear in mind, your TM will not get automatically updated, when you make changes with this tool.

If you have ITD files, you also can use Transistor, which is quite useful for Search/Replace. However, as this older topic shows, it is not easy to easy to obtain:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/149302-transistor_for_sdlx_and_trados.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to search several files for a word?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search