https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/271240-studio_2011_term_recognition_unstable.html

Studio 2011 - Term Recognition unstable
Thread poster: 564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 16:46
Danish to English
+ ...
Jun 26, 2014

When I start Studio 2011, the Term Recognition window does not open automatically. Is there a setting I can choose to make sure it opens when I launch the program?

If not, what else is the immediate way to open the window? The obvious choice, as I understand it, is to choose View and Term Recognition, but this doesn't always open the window. Sometimes it will appear after I have tried this 3, 4 or 5 times, and sometimes, it suddenly appears as if by magic. Other times, it just doesn
... See more
When I start Studio 2011, the Term Recognition window does not open automatically. Is there a setting I can choose to make sure it opens when I launch the program?

If not, what else is the immediate way to open the window? The obvious choice, as I understand it, is to choose View and Term Recognition, but this doesn't always open the window. Sometimes it will appear after I have tried this 3, 4 or 5 times, and sometimes, it suddenly appears as if by magic. Other times, it just doesn't open at all.

I smell a rat...

HELP, please
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Maybe... Jun 26, 2014

... try View -> Reset Window Layout. It sounds as though you may have adjusted your windows and now they are not there by default. Worth a try anyway.

Regards

Paul

564354352 (X)
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Partial success Jun 26, 2014

Thanks Paul

This did solve the problem immediately, i.e. the Term Recognition window appeared while I was working on a project. However, having shut down Studio and relaunched it, the same problem occurs. Of course, I can just do the reset every time and move the different windows around to my taste, and I can live with that. However, if there is a more permanent solution where the windows will stay where I want the
... See more
Thanks Paul

This did solve the problem immediately, i.e. the Term Recognition window appeared while I was working on a project. However, having shut down Studio and relaunched it, the same problem occurs. Of course, I can just do the reset every time and move the different windows around to my taste, and I can live with that. However, if there is a more permanent solution where the windows will stay where I want them, that would be extremely helpful, too.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
User settings file maybe... Jun 26, 2014

Hi Gitte,

I don't know for sure, as I haven't come across this before, but perhaps if you try renaming your user settings file and restarting Studio afterwards then this may help. Could be something is wrong with your settings files or you don't have rights to that file.

Try restarting Studio, but run it with admin rights. So from your Start menu in Windows select this:

Reset the windows layout and then restart Studio and try again.

If that fails, then try renaming the usersettings.xml file to usersettings.xml_orig and restart Studio. This will reset the usersettings.xml file to the default. But note that if you are not running Studio in an environment where you have enough rights to these files then this may not cure the issue permanently if you make changes to the windows again. You can find this file here:

1. Exit SDL Trados Studio.
  2. Browse to the relevant directory.
    - Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\[10.0.0.0]
    - Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\[10.0.0.0]
  3. Here you find the following 3 files:
    - BaseSettings.xml
    - plugincache.xml
    - UserSettings.xml
  4. Rename the usersettings.xml as suggested.

In case you cannot see the "AppData" folder, make sure that your folder view is set to "display hidden system folders." Here are step-by-step instructions:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Show-hidden-files

Regards

Paul
Collapse

564354352 (X)
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again, Paul Jun 26, 2014

Hi Paul

Many thanks for the extensive guidelines.

Just discovered that I don't have adminstrator rights to my own computer, so I will get that fixed and then try your solution.

Thanks for taking the time to suggest a solution.

Gitte

564354352 (X)
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Simple solution Jun 30, 2014

Just discovered a simple way to resolve this problem:

Choose View / Termbase Viewer, then place the cursor on the window and jiggle it a bit up and down, et voilá - the Term Recognition window appears.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 - Term Recognition unstable

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »