Why not make it easier to upgrade specific features in CAT tools, instead of having just a handful o
Thread poster: njweatherdon

njweatherdon
Canada
French to English
+ ...
Jun 27, 2014

I'm sure the topic has come up many times, but perhaps there is new thinking on the matter given that CAT software is continuously evolving.

While packaging things together can help to charge more when people only want to access one additional feature, I think that SDL could potentially increase revenue with some basic edition, and allowing people to specifically pay for upgrades to only those features that they want. For example, instead of options of 5000 units per TM and unlimited, they could build the option, say, to charge $5 per year for 1000 additional units allowed. Eventually, people would upgrade to the version that cost $1000 more to buy because there would be many other features that they may be willing to pay to try, after being able to optimize their usage with regard to other functions.

This type of flexibility would be technically difficult (or time consuming) for smaller players to match, so I don't know what I think about the effects that such pricing strategies could have on the competitive dynamics of the market.

I would like introductory pricing to be similarly "simple", but make it easier for people to upgrade specific features.

[Edited at 2014-06-27 22:51 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:32
English
Care to elaborate? Jun 29, 2014

njweatherdon wrote:

While packaging things together can help to charge more when people only want to access one additional feature, I think that SDL could potentially increase revenue with some basic edition, and allowing people to specifically pay for upgrades to only those features that they want. For example, instead of options of 5000 units per TM and unlimited, they could build the option, say, to charge $5 per year for 1000 additional units allowed. Eventually, people would upgrade to the version that cost $1000 more to buy because there would be many other features that they may be willing to pay to try, after being able to optimize their usage with regard to other functions.

This type of flexibility would be technically difficult (or time consuming) for smaller players to match, so I don't know what I think about the effects that such pricing strategies could have on the competitive dynamics of the market.

I would like introductory pricing to be similarly "simple", but make it easier for people to upgrade specific features.

Hi,

I'd be very interested to learn what features you think could be left out of the basic edition and then what would get added? Not necessarily because we would do this, but from a technical and usability perspective I'd be interested in what you think could be left out?

Regards

Paul

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:32
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Not in favor, generally - but more setup languages would be nice Jun 29, 2014

Do you mean like when the airline industry stripped everything single thing from fares except an ever-shrinking seat, with subsequent nickel-and-diming of passengers for every single option or amenity? Because passengers were thrilled with that... Sometimes I think that working seat belts and oxygen masks are next on the to-slash-until-you-pay-up list!

Seriously, though - I think this would add even more complexity to Trados' licensing system, which many seem to think is labyrinthine (though I've never had problems with it, except that one time when an update install removed my license). For a purchase in the relatively moderate range of Trados pricing via a TGB, I don't want to waste my valuable time spending hours pondering the necessity of a gazillion potential modules. I just want a comprehensive solution that is relatively future-proofed in the near-to-intermediate term. If price alone is a factor, there are cheaper tools and even free tools.

That said, I would like to be able to increase the number of setup languages. While it seems like 5 should be enough for most people, there are certain language groups that are so closely related that every single translator who has one as a source language basically automatically has the others as well (e.g., Croatian/Serbian/Bosnian), in which case those 5 slots fill up really, really fast.

[Edited at 2014-06-29 11:28 GMT]

njweatherdon
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just an idea. Jun 29, 2014

It's not quite like with the airlines, however, since in software almost all costs are fixed development costs, whereas variable costs are also quite high for airlines.

Presumably if you can price each feature at what it's worth, you can get maximum revenue out of each feature. But since many users don't know which features they will use until they use the software for a while, it can be practical to package them.

But consider the case that there is a price on any individual feature. Which feature? Look at the most basic edition and the most comprehensive edition, and put a price on single features.

I've seen economists try to get their heads around modeling the benefits of packaging things together in consumption bundles, specifically from the perspective of numbers of software features.

I know that it's undesirable to have things get too complicated. Anyways, I have no specific gripes. It's sort of a theoretical question in economics, but since this is a specific instance of a software to use where there is a market of users who may actually have an interest in being able to pay for more specific features.

Probably larger players would not like it, because they are the ones with the larger budgets that can be squeezed by the top players in the market. If they had to pay what each feature was worth to their business separately rather than buy a packaged product, they could pay more. But then users who benefited from a smaller number of feature could access them for a lower price.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why not make it easier to upgrade specific features in CAT tools, instead of having just a handful o

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search