Thread poster: Anna Arkhipova

Anna Arkhipova
Germany
Local time: 01:38
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 30, 2014

Hi everyone,
I am facing the problem of working with XML files in Studio (2009) for the first time. The customer has provided an .sdlftsettings file for this job. I am not sure what to do with it now. I have tried reading Help and researching on the Internet. But I don't really understand, how do I create a new file type, where do I take the .filetype file from and what to do with the Parser rules and all the rest. Do I need a new file type at all? How do I use the customer file here?
Does anyone have an instruction for "dummies" maybe?icon_smile.gif I would really appreciate it.
Thanks a lot in advance
Best regards
Anna

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Importing sdlftsettings in Studio 2009 Jun 30, 2014

Hi Anna,

The process is documented in the online help here:

http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/File_Types/How_to/ImportFileSettings.htm

The basic idea is you go to your filetype options;

Tools -> Options -> File Types

Then click on File Types from the menu tree on the left, and then on the bottom of the right hand pane you will see a button with Import Settings... written on it. Click on this, select the sdlftsettings file you have been given and the XML filetype will be created. You can now open the XML file you have been given to translate and work on it.

There are a couple of other scenarios if you're interested. One is if you use the Open Document approach to translate single files as opposed to creating projects. If you want to, after using this approach and bringing up the first window, you can click on the Advanced tab at the bottom and then import your sdlftsettings file here.

Also, if you have an existing project that you wish to add this XML file to then you would not add this sdlftsettings file under Tools -> Options because this will not affect the existing projects. Instead you would activate the project you are working in and then use Project Settings instead.

I hope this clarifies things for you.

Regards

Paul

Anna Arkhipova
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One more small question Jun 30, 2014

Hi Paul,
Thanks a lot for your help and for the nice explanation. I get it now. I'll go for the first method you have described since I am starting a big project now. I'll try it out and report as soon as I am at home.
One small question though... Do I have to load the .sdlftsettings file first and then add new files to my project or just open them after loading the settings?
Best regards
Anna

United Kingdom
English
In your case... Jun 30, 2014

... as you are going to create a Project I would create the new filetype by importing the sdlftsettings under Tools -> Options first. This was all the XML files that have been defined to use these settings (assuming it was created correctly of course) will be added to your new project with these settings.

An easy way to see this is to open one of the files in your Editor after creating your Project, switch to TagID mode ( http://wp.me/p2xDjK-9I ) and the name of the new filetype will be in the orange tag at the top of your file.

You could also add the Filetype Identifier to your Files View by customising the columns and this would also tell you.

Regards

Paul

Anna Arkhipova
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
File type definition complete, Cannot create a project Jul 1, 2014

Hi Paul,
Thanks again for the instruction. I have created the new file type and started creating a new project but somehow it does not work. There are some major problems during the final stage when it is converting the files into translatable format. It takes up to 5-6 hours to complete this first step and then I receive error messages that there has been a "Network disconnection..." and "File location could not be found..." (they are saved on our home server, but I haven't had any problems with it until now). I have tried it twice already. Then I saved the project and the files on my laptop locally and tried again, but it reached 80% after 4 hours and then stopped.
Is it possible that the Trados just can't cope with so many big files at once (17 files, the largest 62 MB)? Should I try loading it in small packages, starting with the smallest and then adding the bigger files one after another?
I am kind of desperate here, especially because I don't really have much time for this project.
Would appreciate your help.
Best regards
Anna

United Kingdom
English
Probably file size... Jul 2, 2014

... but the use of a network drive may not be helping. I think a 60mB xml file is fairly large. If you can share the file I can test it in 2011 and 2014 to see whether it is the size that is causing the problem for 2011. 2014 is a lot more performant in this respect.

If you can't share it then perhaps you can either break the project up so you don't add them all to your project in one go. You can still have one project for this but add the files separately. I'd start with the large one and see if that processes before you waste time on the rest first.

Alternatively, maybe break the xml files up and put them back together after the translation is complete?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Anna Arkhipova
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Import successful Jul 4, 2014

Hi Paul,
I am not allowed to share the files, but a colleague also reported problems with the large files. I have managed to load all the files now, after several attempts and a couple of error messages after converting and pre-translating.
One of the messages is very mysterious though.. It is more of a warning displayed when I open the file in the Editor. It says something about a missing dependency file and shows a link containing the name of one of the project managers. I wonder what kind of file would that be?
Here are the error messages which I have received:
Unerwarteter Netzwerkfehler.
System.IO.IOException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
Or
Unexpected exception when completing Task "Analyze files": Failed to create report folder
TranslationProviderThrewException....
I am still not sure if it will work at the end because the files will get bigger after translation.
Do you think I could test the files with the trial version of Studio 2014?
I wish you a nice weekend.
Best regards
Anna

United Kingdom
English
On your quest Jul 4, 2014

Anna Arkhipova wrote:
One of the messages is very mysterious though.. It is more of a warning displayed when I open the file in the Editor. It says something about a missing dependency file and shows a link containing the name of one of the project managers. I wonder what kind of file would that be?

Could be that the source file is too large to be embedded in the sdlxliff. So the warning message is simply saying you won't be able to do some things because of this missing file. Translating it should be fine, and you should be able to recreate the target file. But if you give the sdlxliff to someone else they will only be able to translate it and send it back.

You could also change the option on the sdlxliff filetype settings so that a larger space is available to hold the embedded binary file. But I think if the file is too large now I'd resist the temptation and would not even try it. The resultant sdlxliff would become unworkable. In fact I'd be inclined to see how I could break these source files down anyway given the problems you are having.

Anna Arkhipova wrote:
Do you think I could test the files with the trial version of Studio 2014?

Sure... have you downloaded it?

Regards

Paul

Anna Arkhipova
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Studio 2014 Jul 5, 2014

Morning,
No, I haven't downloaded it yet because it said I need to deinstall the 2011 version first and I have all these projects in it at the moment. I'll try it on the other computer to avoid this compatibility problems.
Does it differ from 2011 a lot?
Best regards
Anna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XML files in Studio 2009 .sdlftsettings

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search