.ttp files in Studio 2009?
Thread poster: Joakim Braun

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 02:38
German to Swedish
+ ...
Jun 30, 2014

According to this, Trados Studio 2009 opens .ttp (Teamworks 2008) packages.

However, ".ttp" is not listed in the "Open Package..." file dialog.

I have Trados Studio 2009 Freelance.

Suggestions?

Direct link Reply with quote

Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Never mind Jun 30, 2014

Never mind - .ttp files are zip files.

Because we couldn't have a zip file actually ending in .zip, could we?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Maybe you have... Jun 30, 2014

... a really old version of Studio 2009? I have no idea when TeamWorks support was introduced into Studio 2009, or if the original build just omitted it from the list. The latest Studio 2009 build (which is still old and after today won't be a supported version either) is SP3 9.1.2307.8 I think. At least this is my build and I have teamWorks packages in the list.

Why call it zip? Then people would have no idea where it came from and many programs use the extension to help determine how to handle the contents.

Regards

Paul

Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Jun 30, 2014

SDL Support wrote:
Why call it zip?

So that people who don't have Trados can at least open the package and look at its contents, without using a hex editor to find out that a .ttp file is some kind of multi-file archive.

SDL Support wrote:
Then people would have no idea where it came from and many programs use the extension to help determine how to handle the contents.

If I don't have Trados, or the wrong version of Trados, I have no clue where a .ttp file comes from either.

That's why it's good to have a .zip extension on files that are zip files, so that we can use the zip application of our choice to open it.

(Yes, there's a double-click-in-the-shell convenience, but IMO this solution adds more complexity than it removes.)

My Studio build is indeed < SP3 9.1.2307.8, I'll have a look at updating it.
Thanks for the reply.

Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Works Jun 30, 2014

.ttp import worked fine with build 9.1.1264.0, which is the newest available update when auto-updating.

United Kingdom
English
Are you sure that build is correct? Jun 30, 2014

Joakim Braun wrote:

.ttp import worked fine with build 9.1.1264.0, which is the newest available update when auto-updating.

Hi,

That's a lower build number than the one you had before! The latest, and last, is CU16 for 2009 SP3 and it should be available with an autoupdate too:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=3353&source=article&c=12&cid=23

But I guess if it works for you then that's fine. Just seems a little odd.

I completely disagree with your logic around the naming. If you want to add a zip extension yourself then just do it and then you can open it with any tool that manages a zip extension. If we were to do this then all the people who would not know what to do with the files inside, whether it was a ttp, sdlppx, sdlrpx, wsxz, stppk, or an strpk, would be stuck. These were all designed to be handled as packages, with meta data inside that can also be used by the appropriate tools. So unzipping and working outside of these tools will work, but requires more knowledge than understanding how to add a zip to the end of the filename

I think anyone who knows what to do with these files in the first place will have no problem adding a zip extension to the files... or may even use a tool that allows you to open all of these as if they already had a zip added in the first place.

Regards

Paul

Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Later… Jun 30, 2014

Later it crashed with a System.OutOfMemoryException error, with a couple of helpful "object reference not set to an instance of an object" messages thrown in.

My unsaved work was gone. Not much, since I save obsessively, but still...

In my other high-end work I use Adobe Indesign. A rock-solid application which is almost uncrashable, and if it does go away your unsaved work is there to the last keystroke (since it saves events out to a temp file continuously).

United Kingdom
English
Maybe... Jun 30, 2014

... as Studio 2009 will no longer be a supported product in a few hours time it's worth considering an upgrade, where you also have this:

Regards

Paul

Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well… Jun 30, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

That's a lower build number than the one you had before! The latest, and last, is CU16 for 2009 SP3 and it should be available with an autoupdate too:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=3353&source=article&c=12&cid=23

I had an SP1 build before and installed SP2, which added the .ttp functionality. It now says "SP2 9.1-1264-0" and "This application is up-to-date" in the "check for updates" dialog. So I'll download the CU16 manually...

I haven't looked at the 2014 version. How does it deal with crashes? It should be saving temp files on the fly. That's not resource-intensive in a text-oriented environment and some form of serialized event queue should be quite simple to implement.

(I do realize the exceptional difficulty of programming something like Trados!)

Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But Jun 30, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

... as Studio 2009 will no longer be a supported product in a few hours time it's worth considering an upgrade, where you also have this:

Regards

Paul

I have "auto save" in my reptile brain... if there's nothing else to type, I press Ctrl-S. The crash didn't lose me much work. But it could have.

United Kingdom
English
Before you do that... Jun 30, 2014

Joakim Braun wrote:

I had an SP1 build before and installed SP2, which added the .ttp functionality. It now says "SP2 9.1-1264-0" and "This application is up-to-date" in the "check for updates" dialog. So I'll download the CU16 manually...

... you need to install SP3 first and then you'll get the right version. Seems you were well out of date.

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=3314&source=Article&c=12&cid=23

Regards

Paul

Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hmm... Jun 30, 2014

That SP3 installer isn't listed in "My Account".

There's an "SDL MultiTerm 2009 Desktop SP3" update... named "SDLMultiTermDesktop2009_SP3_166.exe" ... but that is probably not it. The text in the KB link says "Download the self-extracting executable file SDLTradosStudio2009_SP3_2229.exe."

In spite of my nagging I'll say that Trados has a good support presence here.

United Kingdom
English
You're probably looking in the wrong place... Jun 30, 2014

Hi Joakim,

I think you are looking in the archive section. Try just clicking on My Downloads and you'll see three downloads available. The second one is this:

SDLTradosStudio2009_SP3_2229.exe

I'm looking at your account now it's definitely there.

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
English
We have a good support presence everywhere! Jun 30, 2014

Joakim Braun wrote:

In spite of my nagging I'll say that Trados has a good support presence here.

Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Jun 30, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

I'm looking at your account now it's definitely there.

So it is. Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

.ttp files in Studio 2009?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search