https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/271765-studio_java_problems_once_again.html

Studio Java problems once again
Thread poster: Tomi Dobaj
Tomi Dobaj
Tomi Dobaj  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 13:23
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jul 9, 2014

Hi!

After 2 months of smooth (even though slow) operation of adding terms in Studio 2014, I now out of the blue again get the dreaded "Script error "An error has occured in the script on this page. Line 631; Char 10; Error: unspecified error. Code 0."

I tried cleanupjava tool, reinstalling Studio&Multiterm, all that, no luck. Any other clues?

I think I managed to open a ticket at SDL now, I will keep you posted.

[Edited at 2014-07-09 08:11 GM
... See more
Hi!

After 2 months of smooth (even though slow) operation of adding terms in Studio 2014, I now out of the blue again get the dreaded "Script error "An error has occured in the script on this page. Line 631; Char 10; Error: unspecified error. Code 0."

I tried cleanupjava tool, reinstalling Studio&Multiterm, all that, no luck. Any other clues?

I think I managed to open a ticket at SDL now, I will keep you posted.

[Edited at 2014-07-09 08:11 GMT]
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:23
English to Hebrew
+ ...
See the following links Jul 9, 2014

See I Cannot Add or Edit Terms in SDL MultiTerm…What should I do?, especially the updates at the top of the article with the link to SDL's relevant KB article. In essence, make sure you have both Studio and Java updated to the latest versions and if the problem persists, lower the security setting.

And to speed up the work a little,
... See more
See I Cannot Add or Edit Terms in SDL MultiTerm…What should I do?, especially the updates at the top of the article with the link to SDL's relevant KB article. In essence, make sure you have both Studio and Java updated to the latest versions and if the problem persists, lower the security setting.

And to speed up the work a little, see Tackling Studio 2014 Terminology Editing Slowness.
Collapse

Tomi Dobaj
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Hello Jul 9, 2014

Thank you, Shai - but the first article is long outdated now and n/a anymore, and the second one I have implemented (turned off all checks).

The first one can be well replaced by running the SDL's cleanupjava tool - it will uninstall everything and install the latest java.

But none of that seem to help anyway. Java is simply crap.

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
That's weird Jul 9, 2014

Java is indeed less-than-ideal, but this isn't supposed to happen with the new version.
I've been using Studio 2014 with Java 8 whatever the last update is flawlessly in the last couple of months.

Have you tried to lower the Java security settings? Is Studio set to run Java on startup?

Tomi Dobaj
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Yesx2 Jul 9, 2014

Hello Shai,

yes to both questions. At first after updating to java 8 it worked pretty well for me to (except of slowness and Studio window getting out of focus when pressing add term shortcut), but now for 2 weeks I simply can't get rid of it anymore. I tried pretty much everything I could find on SDL sites and at proz.com forums.

I just installed the new Studio update too (issued today), no effect on this issue.

Cheers

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
A suggestion Jul 9, 2014

I don't have a solution, but I would try to following:

Clear all Java Cache from the Java Control Panel. I would also delete all traces of Java (files and folders) from the system.
Manually remove all existing Java versions.
Download and latest Java version and install it manually.
Restoring defaults from the Java Control Panel (just to be on the safe side).
Reset Studio's Windows Layout (seems weird and unrelated, but I once has a success with it, although I
... See more
I don't have a solution, but I would try to following:

Clear all Java Cache from the Java Control Panel. I would also delete all traces of Java (files and folders) from the system.
Manually remove all existing Java versions.
Download and latest Java version and install it manually.
Restoring defaults from the Java Control Panel (just to be on the safe side).
Reset Studio's Windows Layout (seems weird and unrelated, but I once has a success with it, although I cannot guarantee anything).

If nothing helps, I would have contacted SDL again. I you need any help with that because the form doesn't work, I will be happy to do it for you.
Collapse

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
Java Jul 9, 2014

@Tomi
@Shai

Strangely enough, the official Java web site states that Java 7.60 is the most recent update, while Studio 2014 SP1 comes bundled with Java 8.0.
I would do as Shai says, deleting all what has to do with Java, and then install the Java version that comes bundled with Studio.

I'm using Studio 2014 SP1 with Java 8 and never had a problem.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
KB article #4956 Jul 10, 2014

Hi Lorenzo

You can try the steps from the KB article #4956:
http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4956&source=article&c=12&cid=23

Kind regards
Richard Puschmann | Support Engineer | SDL | Language Technologies Division |

Have a problem with SDL products? Maybe you already can find an answer in our Knowledge Base her
... See more
Hi Lorenzo

You can try the steps from the KB article #4956:
http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4956&source=article&c=12&cid=23

Kind regards
Richard Puschmann | Support Engineer | SDL | Language Technologies Division |

Have a problem with SDL products? Maybe you already can find an answer in our Knowledge Base here: http://kb.sdl.com
Here you find solutions to known issues and many more....
If you want to keep up-2-date with the latest released articles you can also follow me on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/Richard___P
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
java Jul 10, 2014

Tomi Dobaj wrote:
Java is simply crap.

Every other java-based program seems to work OK across different versions, so I would place the blame on multiterm for this one. They have had this problem for at least 5 years now, maybe more. They could have easily rewritten multiterm not to rely on java if they are unable to fix their java crap. This is just embarrassing for sdl.

Tomi Dobaj
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
javadevil Jul 10, 2014

FarkasAndras wrote:
Every other java-based program seems to work OK across different versions,...

I have had problems with Java in Firefox (most applications I used), Chrome, not to mention various java-based Slovenian government forms, so I have reasoned Java is simply outdated in 2014.

But yes, after 5 years SDL should be able to find a few non-java-specialized programmers to do some proper work. Memoq does a great job term-wise, so some plagiarism wouldn't hurt

I have still not attempted at manual overhaul, I am a bit scared it will take me hours later on to get everything working again.. Can't afford that at the moment.

@Shai, do you have any clue when can we expect a java-less Studio patch? It has been promised quite a bit ago...

PS: did you know that "java" (if "j" read as in "Jamaica") means devil in Croatian?

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
I don't have an exact date Jul 10, 2014

Unfortunately, I never managed to get a committed answer from SDL about the release of the Java free terminology module.
All I know is that they said to have something by the end of 2014, probably as part of a Service Pack, but it is not guaranteed.

Regardless of this of the Java issues in general. MT should work for you. The manual steps that I've suggested shouldn't take hours to do and are not supposed to break anything. If you are uncomfortable do them, I suggest again con
... See more
Unfortunately, I never managed to get a committed answer from SDL about the release of the Java free terminology module.
All I know is that they said to have something by the end of 2014, probably as part of a Service Pack, but it is not guaranteed.

Regardless of this of the Java issues in general. MT should work for you. The manual steps that I've suggested shouldn't take hours to do and are not supposed to break anything. If you are uncomfortable do them, I suggest again contacting SDL who will have a support engineer solve this for you, I think.
Collapse

Tomi Dobaj
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
... Jul 10, 2014

Thank you, Shai, keeping my fingers crossed for end of 2014 then!

I will do manually at the first convenience.. Do you know what is this file the error mentions: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Common%20Files/SDL/MultiTerm11/Editor/script/main.js, what does it do exactly?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio Java problems once again

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »