Catarina Lopes  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:55
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 10, 2014

Hello everyone!

I'm a new user of Trados and I need your help. I have the new Trados Studio 2014.

I need to translate a word file, but only some highlighted parts.
Is there a feature in Trados that allows me to identify the highlighted parts that need to be translated, but that also allows me to see the rest of the text for reference?

Thank you for your help.

Catarina.

Direct link Reply with quote

Darius Sciuka  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 05:55
Member (2016)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Should be easy Jul 10, 2014

Hi Catarina,

Go to File-Options-Editor and make sure you have Show all formatting and tags or Show formatting but hide recognized formatting tags option selected for Formatting display style. When you open your Word file in the Trados Studio, the sections highlighted in the file will also be highlighted in the Editor view.

Portugal
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Darius! Jul 10, 2014

I checked and that option was selected by default.

It can see all the tags and formatting in the Editor View, except for the highlighting. The only way I can see if the text is highlighted is if I put the cursor on top of the tag.

Do I need to select any other box so that the highlight colour shows?

Thank you!

Darius Sciuka  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 05:55
Member (2016)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
DOCX format required Jul 10, 2014

I must admit I've jumped to the conclusion too quickly in my previous post: it appears that the highlight color is only displayed when a DOCX source file is opened with Trados Studio. It does not work with DOC format.

If you can save your DOC file in DOCX format you should be fine. Otherwise you can use a "quick and dirty" workaround, e.g. use Find and Replace function to change the font color of the highlighted sections in Word. You will be able to find these sections easily in Trados Studio and change the formatting back once you generate a translated Word document. I hope it helps.

Portugal
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Perfect, Darius! Jul 10, 2014

I converted the file to DOCX format and it worked perfectly.

Thank you so much for your help!

Catarina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating parts of a file

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €495 / $595
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €495 / $595 / £425 / ¥70,000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search