Thread poster: Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:44
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Jul 11, 2014

Short version: How do I remove tags from a Studio 2014 file after the segments have been translated?

Long version: I have been playing with Studio. I OCR'd a PDF and converted it to Word using Omnipage, loaded the Word file into Studio and zipped through, translating all the segments. Interestingly, although I haven't used CAT tools before, I did find that the segment structure aided my focus and organisation. After finishing the segments I found that there were some odd tags
... See more
Short version: How do I remove tags from a Studio 2014 file after the segments have been translated?

Long version: I have been playing with Studio. I OCR'd a PDF and converted it to Word using Omnipage, loaded the Word file into Studio and zipped through, translating all the segments. Interestingly, although I haven't used CAT tools before, I did find that the segment structure aided my focus and organisation. After finishing the segments I found that there were some odd tags.

I was unable to delete these tags but a couple of minutes of research revealed that this is a common question. The solution, of course, is to prevent the tags from being included in the first place (hat tip to Emma's useful piece). In future I will spit the source out as plain text or rip the formatting out of the Word file but in this case the translation is already done, so fixing the source document is not a viable strategy.

As per the screenshot below, I have turned off tag protection as advised by the help file, entered Edit Source mode and hit delete but still can't seem to remove the wayward tags. Am I missing something obvious?

Collapse

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:44
Japanese to English
+ ...
This is worth checking out Jul 11, 2014

First, have a look at the extremely informative posts Erik Anderson made here.

Even if you've already translated the file, have you considered preparing a "clean" (plain text) copy of the source document, loading it into a new project in Studio, then having it auto-propagate all the segments for you? If you co
... See more

Even if you've already translated the file, have you considered preparing a "clean" (plain text) copy of the source document, loading it into a new project in Studio, then having it auto-propagate all the segments for you? If you confirmed all of the segments in the original translation, Studio should have stored them, so they will all be 100% matches in the new project and should fill in automatically if you have it set up to do this. I've had to do this before.

Edit: I forgot to mention that another workaround I have done before is to export the finished translation, tag codes and all, into Word, then use the find/replace feature with a wildcard symbol for the tag number(s) to delete them all.

[Edited at 2014-07-11 13:08 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:44
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Nice idea Jul 11, 2014

Thanks for this and the other suggestions Orin. I haven't finalised the translations but once I do I may just do as you recommend.

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:44
Japanese to English
+ ...
... Jul 17, 2014

I'm sure you know how to use wildcards in Word's Find/Replace feature, but just now I had to get rid of the tag codes in a file created through Export for External Review, so while it was fresh on my mind I figured I would leave this in case it becomes a reference for anyone else.

To get rid of the pink tag codes in Word, just put this in the "find" field and replace it with nothing (leave the "replace" field blank):

See more
I'm sure you know how to use wildcards in Word's Find/Replace feature, but just now I had to get rid of the tag codes in a file created through Export for External Review, so while it was fresh on my mind I figured I would leave this in case it becomes a reference for anyone else.

To get rid of the pink tag codes in Word, just put this in the "find" field and replace it with nothing (leave the "replace" field blank):

Note that this will delete all information enclosed in angle brackets, so if you have some of those that aren't tag codes you will have to cycle through each and check each instance instead of doing a Replace All.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to remove tags AFTER completing translation in Studio 2014

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »