Using XML files with Trados 2011
Thread poster: Alexandre Chetrite

Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 18:19
English to French
Jul 21, 2014

Hello,

I am a newbie regarding the use of XML files with TRADOS 2011...

I found an old forum post regarding this issue but it dates back to 2005. Is this procedure still valid for Trados 2011 please?

"Open the xml file in TagEditor (having first opened the relevant TM in Workbench) and hit Save (Ctrl+S). TagEditor automatically saves the xml file as ttx.
When you're done, clean the clean using the workbench, and the cleaned file is converted back to xml."

What does he mean by "open the relevant TM in Workbench first"? How do you do that? I only have an XML source document.

Best regards,

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:19
English
Probably good not to mix... Jul 21, 2014

... instructions for TagEditor and Workbench with how to handle files in Studio as they do not work the same way.

The basis procedure is the same but I would rewrite it at this level as follows:

"Open the xml file in Studio (selecting your TM when prompted). Studio will save this file as an SDLXLIFF. When you're done save the target file and the unclean file is converted back to xml (the clean file)."

But to be honest I would not write the procedure like this at all. You can find more info on how to handle XML files in Studio in the product help and also in this article: http://wp.me/p2xDjK-Ff

The article is about creating your own XML filetype which is something I would always recommend, but there is a default AnyXML filetype that will allow you to do the simple process outlined above without using a custom XML filetype at all. You just need to be aware that if you don't create a custom XML filetype then you may never know whether you translated everything you were supposed to, or what you should not have, until your client gets the clean (target) XML file back.

This also goes for TagEditor for that matter except you would create an ini file instead of an sdlftsettings file.

Regards

Paul

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using XML files with Trados 2011

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €495 / $595
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €495 / $595 / £425 / ¥70,000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search