SDL Trados 2007 translation memory russian characters problem
Thread poster: svekris
Jul 28, 2014

I am sysadmin in translation company.
I have seen many if not most of the problems Trados 2007 can spew at those who are bound to use it.
Up till now I have been able solve all them.

Though, now I have one my google-fu seem to be no mach.

It's:
User system: Windows 7 RU, Office 2007 RU, Trados Freelance 2007.

Problem:
Translation memory is not read correctly, it's processed mostly as ",".

Notes:
1. Language for non-unicode systems is set to "Russian"
2. I suspect encoding, but I don't know where it has gone wrong.
3. Translation memory is clean and works fine on other machines.


Screenshot:
http://failiem.lv/thumb_show.php?i=wivuwfb&n=prozed.png&refresh1

Please advice.

Let me know if you need any additional information.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Dmitry Pakidov
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:11
Possible solution Jul 30, 2014

I believe I’ve encountered your problem when our LSP was still using Trados 2007. The reason was that as a result of OCR the source text used a font that doesn’t support Cyrillic characters (I believe it was a font from the Arial typeface, but I can’t recall which one exactly), and while the Trados 2007 Word plugin would show the contents of the target segment correctly due the font adaptation system built into Word, it would mess up the encoding of the segment when it was placed in the TM in the very way shown on your screenshot. The adaptation system works as follows: if a font lacks a specific character set, Cyrillic letters in our case, then the words using such font are displayed in a different one (Times New Roman, IIRC), but when you select these words in target you can see that they in fact still use the original non-supporting font.

The only workaround I found back in the day was to reformat the entire bilingual Word document which was the source of these “damaged” segments in the TM with a different font and import the contents of the “repaired” document into the TM via Clean Up, thereby effectively replacing the segments in the TM which contain gibberish in target with correct ones. I didn’t manage to find out any alternative methods to salvage the segments with incorrect encoding, but one can perhaps determine what the incorrect encoding is and write a parser to analyze the TMX exported from the TM and automatically replace the incorrect characters with correct ones, but I guess this will take a lot of effort (if it is possible to do at all).


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Dimmo
Local time: 20:11
English to Bulgarian
repair attempt Jul 30, 2014

Hi svekris,

Please try to do the following:

1. Export the TM as txt.

2. Open Word, then Ctrl + O and select the txt export. Then you will have to choose the encoding. Select Other encoding/Unicode (UFT-8). The export opens in word. Save and close.

3. Create empty TM and import the txt.

This solution saved me several times and I hope it will work on your side too.


[Edited at 2014-07-30 09:25 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

svekris
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 30, 2014

Dimitry,

Big thanks to you.
I think you might be right.
Problem is being encountered in OCRed documents. //converted by our best DTP specialists.

>(Times New Roman, IIRC), but when you select these words in target you can see that they in fact still use the original non-supporting font.
Looks entirely like our situation.

I will update the thread if fix/workaround will be successful.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2007 translation memory russian characters problem

Advanced search







Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search