Thread poster: Worder Company
Worder Company
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:58
Russian to English
+ ...
Aug 2, 2014

I have the following issue:

I have 400 terms in the termbase. The problem is that I know that a lot of them would not be displayed in trados. I asked my friends to replicate this process at several PCs with the same segment and the termbase containing only 1 term, 3 terms -- to no avail. Large segments would not dipslay any terms at all close to the end.

Right now I have to translate a project of 500 pages with 2 other translators, so I need to make sure that all the terms are used by all translators consistently.

1. I decided to try moving to Deja vu X3.

The terms are not highlited in the source, so it is not possible to understand, what terms are there in a particular segment. I am translating a series of contracts, so the consistent use of terms is very important.

2. I decided to try moving to MemoQ, but:

I have 2 termbases. No. 1 is the main one. It contains 500 words. All the terms MUST be used. No. 2 contains 4,000 words. It is an additional termbase. The terms may or may not be used. It's up to the translator. There are lot of comments for the terms directly in the termbase.

The speed of typing goes down extremely low, if I swtich on these two termbase, because of all the cues, generated by prediction. I tried three options in memoq -- only text, text and list, only list -- but all three options result in a significant decrease in typing speed.

P.S.

1. I usually need to provide the tmx and sdlxliffs. This means I should use Trados -- I have been using it up to now, but because not all the terms are recognized, I am looking for a different solution. I am not sure that converting tmx from a cat to trados is really feasible (i have been burnt before -- 4 times with up to 100 pages in 500-pages files not shown after tmx conversion)

2. I use trados to create "pseudo-memory". I have a special TM. I would copy source to target in a file. Then I would add so obtained sources in the TM and mark them "321" in this TM. The original and the translation files are placed in the folder, callsed "321". I have 2,000 files and 2-GB TM. I have not seen great results, but I have copied ca 100 pages, overall. This TM helps with several customers, who have a lot of pds, but no TMs or TMs -- to identify "extremely rare terms". I am still waiting to benefit from hits, generated when I have to translate for different customers similar contracts, agreements, reports, instructions, manuals, check lists, etc. I do not want to stop doing this work, since I am expecting a pay-out. If I get 500 pages out of it, it will mean 500 pages * 10 bucks (almost minimum price in Russia) = 5,000 bucks (i.e. 500 pages copied (not accounting for manual works to copy them out); i.e. with the speed of 15 pages = 33 days of work). I do the tasks to prepare it on the background -- while translating. I would click a couple of times, then click a couple of time more in 15 minutes...

3. I have no problems with Trados, apart from the terms not being recognized. 2014 is quick. No major issues with tagging. Ability to merge file, which is extremely important to me.

4. I do not use any quality checks, but thinking about starting to use them at a large project in September, when we have a team of translators -- just to make sure that they do use the termbases and do not translate the MUST USE terms themselves in different wasy.

What is your advice?

Direct link Reply with quote

Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 14:58
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
Adressing just one bit Aug 2, 2014

The terms are not highlited in the source, so it is not possible to understand, what terms are there in a particular segment. I am translating a series of contracts, so the consistent use of terms is very important.

It's true that the terms are not highlighted in the source, but the terms you see recognized in the window are solely the ones contained in the source (and you can insert them manually or begin typing and they will autocomplete). Plus, you can enable the automated terminology check that lets you know, segment by segment, when a term in the source that has a translation in the glossary is missing... so you're pretty much covered!

Worder Company
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:58
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, sorry Aug 2, 2014

Rossana Triaca wrote:

It's true that the terms are not highlighted in the source, but the terms you see recognized in the window are solely the ones contained in the source (and you can insert them manually or begin typing and they will autocomplete). Plus, you can enable the automated terminology check that lets you know, segment by segment, when a term in the source that has a translation in the glossary is missing... so you're pretty much covered!

1. The same function -- display of the terms in the respective segment does exist in trados... I can also type and manually insert the terms in the targets. So, every cat has it. I mean -- how can you live without it???

Just imagine that I have 10 terms in an 250-word segment...

Just try out any other cat.

2. every cat has automatic QAs. I mean, c'mon.

Seriously, I have written a poem above there. Coz, I know about the QAs and prediction typing...

[Редактировалось 2014-08-02 21:49 GMT]

Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 14:58
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
... Aug 4, 2014

1. The same function -- display of the terms in the respective segment does exist in trados... I can also type and manually insert the terms in the targets. So, every cat has it. I mean -- how can you live without it???

Yep, I'm familiar with the feature, but I can live without it fairly easily since I don't think I've ever laid eyes on a 250 word segment in my life, probably due to my language pairs. All the terms highlighted in the term search are hits, and seeing more than 5 or 6 in the same sentence it's a stretch. The terminology QA check covers all my needs in this regard.

In any event, the fact that Trados has that feature does definitely not imply all the CATs have it or should have it (file merge, which we agree is a must, is fairly recent for Trados).

Just try out any other cat.

I have tried all the commercial CATs available, and most of the free ones as well.

My advice, since what you really want is to keep on working with Studio 2014 (which makes sense too if all your resources are already in their native formats), is to contact SDL and let them fix the recognition problem for you since it's a bug and, when it impedes operation, they are responsible for it. In my experience, they are really nice and will try their best to solve it. You're not alone in this: they have a lot of problems with Java components, and that's why they are moving away from them in future releases.

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:58
Italian to English
Just maybe the problem is 250 word segments Aug 4, 2014

Trados does seem to have a problem when the segments are long. But that long makes me wonder. Do you have the segmentation set to paragraph hard returns? Maybe if you set the segments to full stops (sentence structure) you might get a lot more hits.

Moreover, if you are using a TM, simply highlighting the word and clicking F3 brings up the hit. I know, if you have a million of them, it is a bit time consuming.

Eileen

[Edited at 2014-08-04 09:30 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Issues with termbases -- terms are not being recognized in Studio 2014

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search