Egmont Schröder  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:52
Member (2013)
Chinese to German
+ ...
Aug 3, 2014

Hello,

I am doing translations for a while, and a lot of the customers demanding that I use SDL Trados fo translations. So I bought the licence, and I have to say that it is quite useful but also very expensive.

I have the problem that I created a glossary via termbase and want to manage the entries or use them for another software. So far, I just saved the new words in the sample termbase.

Here is my question: Do I really have to buy SDL MultiTerm Desktop for this? Or is there another way to manage the glossaries?

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
No, because you already own it if you have a licence for Studio! Aug 3, 2014

Hi Egmont,

Log in to your SDL account, go to My Downloads and click on the plus sign next to "SDL Trados Studio 2014 SP1".

You will see the Studio installer that you will already have downloaded and also a separate installer for MultiTerm. It might take you a while to work out how to get the best out of the program but it'll be worth it. MultiTerm is a very powerful terminology tool.

Enjoy!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
As Giles said... Aug 3, 2014

Egmont Schroder wrote:

Here is my question: Do I really have to buy SDL MultiTerm Desktop for this? Or is there another way to manage the glossaries?

You already own MultiTerm so there is no need to buy it. However, I'd recommend you also look at the Glossary Plugin and Glossary Converter which are available from the SDL OpenExchange.

The Glossary Plugin is free and lets you create a MultiTerm Termbase and have it added to your Project in a couple of clicks... in addition to some other very useful features. This is an essential tool for any Studio 2014 user I think.

The Glossary Converter takes all the hard work out of manipulating spreadsheets, TBX files, termbases, definition files etc. and can even convert any of these directly to TMX very quickly which I know is something that crops up from time to time. The version I linked to here is the Charity Edition where the developer is donating all proceeds to charity, but if you don't want to pay 7 -€ for this wonderful edition which has some new features well worth having over the previous build then you can use the older one that is also available from the site when you try to download... or you can wait until October when this version will also be free.

Regards

Paul

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Glossary converter seconded Aug 4, 2014

Hi again Egmont,

Paul is quite right about Glossary Converter.

Seven euros towards a worthy cause is a small price to pay for a tool that - with a little coaxing - can convert the IATE terminology files into SDLTB (for MultiTerm) and TMX (for import into a Studio TM) formats.

Thanks to Paul, the EN-DE combination is already available but you might have to wait for something of a sea change in global politics before a version in your other combination (ZH-DE) is released icon_wink.gif

Egmont Schröder  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2013)
Chinese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Oct 18, 2014

I have it on my PC and try to get used to it.

Henk Sanderson  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
German to Dutch
+ ...
IATE termbase import simplified to just a few clicks Feb 7, 2015

Giles Watson wrote:

Thanks to Paul, the EN-DE combination is already available but you might have to wait for something of a sea change in global politics before a version in your other combination (ZH-DE) is released icon_wink.gif

An even simpler solution for importing IATE language pairs with the advantage of offering a cleaned-up database is offered on my website santrans.net. You can order all possible language pairs, split into separate files for the TB and the TM, complete with TB format specification files and installation instructions, for a very modest fee.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Another Multiterm fan Feb 8, 2015

Way back, before Trados had come as far as it has, Multiterm was the reason I stayed with Trados in spite of nerves over every update, Java update and so on.

In practice other CATs had their hitches, and their glossaires, although simpler, are not nearly as versatile.

Actually, most of the time it worked fine, and since Studio was introduced SDL has really ironed out the bugs. Now it is Java-free too.

Once you have Multiterm set up, it is really delightfuly easy to add terms or edit them as you go along, and the App takes the hassleout of setting up new databases.

My advice is still don't set up too many. I always miss the one that is not installed, so I only have a very few customer-specific glossaries apart from my big central ones.

So the time spent on learning to use Multiterm is an investment that really pays back.

You can add long strings, clients' slogans or other recurring phrases for instance, and save typing.

I even insert some of my typos, correctly spelled, so I can just type two letters carefully. It saves correcting them afterwards... (Cotober, intersting and others are eliminated.)

Find your own 'creative' ways of using Multiterm and enjoy it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it really necessary to buy Multiterm

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search