Thread poster: Rain Na Bun

Rain Na Bun
Thailand
Local time: 00:04
Member (2011)
English to Thai
Aug 7, 2014

Hi,

I would like to add SDL BeGlobal. It needs information of Account ID, User ID, API Key, Touchpoint ID.

Where can I find this information?

Thank you very much.

Direct link Reply with quote

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:04
English to Italian
Infromation Aug 7, 2014

Hello
if you would like to use free machine translation - the new way to access it is through Language Cloud. This gives you 600,000 free character per month.

The alternative is the full BeGlobal engine - which you either purchase from our sales team - or someone could be giving you access to it and then they would pass to you all the API details. etc.

You can find more information about Language Cloud here:
https://languagecloud.sdl.com/translators

Kind regards
Massi from SDL

Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:04
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
That's not true Aug 7, 2014

ghislandi wrote:

Hello
if you would like to use free machine translation - the new way to access it is through Language Cloud. This gives you 600,000 free character per month.

The alternative is the full BeGlobal engine - which you either purchase from our sales team - or someone could be giving you access to it and then they would pass to you all the API details. etc.

You can find more information about Language Cloud here:
https://languagecloud.sdl.com/translators

Kind regards
Massi from SDL

I talked to a SDL trados representative and he told me that you sell SDL Beglobal only to corporations, not individual translators..

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Well... Aug 7, 2014

... perhaps you should ask your SDL Trados representative to drop Massi an email so he can explain to him the error of his ways

The advice Massi gave here is correct.

Regards

Paul

Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Can SDL language cloud be trained with TMX? Aug 7, 2014

Dear Paul,
I have just activated an account in SDL language cloud.
However, I have noticed that I can import termbases but not translation memories.
Is there a way to train the system also with my TMs?
Thank you for your help

P.s. I have just compared SDL language cloud and microsoft translator in a pretty easy sporting domain using the "powerful" life sciences engine. And the winner is: microsoft translator.
Why should users pay for such a low-quality service offered by SDL language cloud? The
Translators should be able to train such systems, like microsoft translator hub allows us to do a no cost.
What are the advantages of SDL language cloud that make worth its price? In my opinion there aren't any and this product isn't worth its price. It should be free.

[Edited at 2014-08-07 16:13 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
That was a quick... Aug 7, 2014

... and very rapid assessment of a fairly complex technology!

I am wondering why you think "Life Sciences" would be comparable to a "Sporting" domain however? I also have no idea what source material you used... was it related to one of these different domains or maybe it was something else altogether?

The terminology is intended to allow you to use preferred terms as opposed to what the machine translation determines it to be. So this is not training, but rather assisting and guiding the results for an instant improvement.

The use of TMX for training your own engines is something we do offer as part of the BeGlobal Trainer used in the BeGlobal solution Massi mentioned, but it is not available as part of the Language Cloud offering you see here today. There will be continued development to Language Cloud, and not just Machine Translation,... you will see this over the next months... years as we build on the platform we have provided.

The advantages of Language Cloud for a translator are that we are making some trained engines readily available now and supporting the use of dictionaries for instant improvements. Despite your quick assessment I do believe these offer a considerable improvement over the baseline engines. I can't comment on how they fare against Microsoft but I'd expect a comparative test to be based on something sensible and a little more scientific in the first place. But if you prefer Microsoft Translator then great... makes a change to be having this kind of conversation instead of the MT is useless full stop conversation we used to see in here! The openexchange provides plugins for all kinds of MT solutions including Microsoft Translator so you're spoiled for choice.

In addition we offer an API for developers that make it possible for them to hook into Language Cloud to provide solutions for all sorts of things.

The baseline engines continue to be free... but tell me, why should everything we provide here be free? Do you provide your translations for nothing?

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2014: SDL BeGlobal

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search