Confused about how Studio 2011 updates TMs
Thread poster: Orrin Cummins

Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:38
Japanese to English
+ ...
Aug 9, 2014

I am struggling to understand how Studio 2011 handles my TMs.

I created a new, empty TM, then opened one of my old projects and added it as a TM (the only TM). The "Update" checkbox is ticked in that window.

I then did the "Update Main Translation Memories" batch task and checked the box "Always add new translation to the translation memory," after which Studio told me that it updated the TM.

But when I go to the TM view and search for a partial segment from that project, it doesn't appear in that TM. Also, the "updated" TM only has about 1,000 segments, even though the project that I carried out the batch task on has over 3,000 segments. Since they should all be "new" to the TM, why are they not all updated into it?

I don't have a "master" TM set under Studio's Tools -> Options -> Language Pairs.

Can anyone explain to me what is going on here? I read some posts already but what Studio seems to be doing doesn't match with my understanding of how it is supposed to work.

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:38
English
You said... Aug 10, 2014

... "I don't have a "master" TM set under Studio's Tools -> Options -> Language Pairs." Do you have one in the Project Settings now as opposed to Tools -> Options?

Is it added under All Language Pairs or the specific language pair?

Did you create the project using a Project TM?

If you confirm a segment that was not in the TM does it now appear in the TM Results window or not?

Just to help get a better picture of how you are set up since your explanation seems to be exactly how it works, so something is amiss.

Regards

Paul

Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:38
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Aug 10, 2014

Thanks for the reply, Paul.

... "I don't have a "master" TM set under Studio's Tools -> Options -> Language Pairs." Do you have one in the Project Settings now as opposed to Tools -> Options?

Correct. I'm trying to use multiple main TMs organized by subject area instead of a single master main TM, so when I create a project I add the ones that I want to be referenced and choose the one that I want to update by adding them to that project's settings.

Is it added under All Language Pairs or the specific language pair?

I always put them under All Language Pairs, because I only ever work in one language pair and direction.

Did you create the project using a Project TM?

This is a good question. I just spent about an hour looking for the project that I was talking about in my first post, but I can't remember which one it was. I wish I had written the name of the project in the post...

Since I can't find it now, and all of the projects that I tested just now appeared to be updated correctly to their assigned TMs, I guess we will just have to chalk it up to my imagination.

But for the record, most of these old projects were created at a time when I didn't understand the difference between Main and Project TMs, and by extension the difference between "Prepare" and "Prepare without a project TM." So it is entirely possible that it originally had a project TM, although I have since went through all of those old projects and altered their settings to only use the subject area TMs that I've created. And I think on most of them I actually went into their project folders and deleted any project TMs that were there.

So to answer your question...I'm not sure. But am I correct in assuming that even if a project was originally set up with a project TM, once you remove that project TM from its project settings it will no longer have any effect on the project? Like the project TM just gets orphaned, although it is still in that project's folder?

Even though I might be going crazy and imagining things, it is nice to know that my limited understanding of this TM process is not completely wrong. Silver linings and all that ^^;

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Confused about how Studio 2011 updates TMs

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search