Thread poster: A_IsidroGomez

A_IsidroGomez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 13, 2014

Hello!

I have an urgent job and was provided with an old TM in the "tmw" file format. I have tried several times to upgrade this tmw to work with it on Studio 2014 - both within the new project wizard and also pressing the "Upgrade Translation Memory" botton in the TM Section - but the software crashes always at the same point.

I do not have any old Trados version and cannot simply export the "tmw" file into "tmx" and then import this last file into Studio 2014. The TM Optimizer does not help either, since you must first have a "tmx" file to optimize the upgrading.

I have asked the project manager to convert the file their selves but they have not replied so far. Do you have any ideas what I could do?

Thank you very much before hand!

Kind regards,
Alejandro

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
The Translation Memory Plugin might be useful Aug 13, 2014

Hi, Alejandro,

There is a plugin for Studio that allows you to work with an old Trados TM without having to convert it:

http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/sdltrados2007translationmemoryplug-in-483.html#46989

It might be useful for an emergency.

Daniel

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Trados 2007 Translation Memory Plug-in worked fine! Aug 13, 2014

Hello Daniel,

thank you! It has worked fine and I can now use the provided TM. I guess that all the translation units that I confirm will also be saved in this "tmw" translation memory with the only problem that it does not get converted into "tmx" or "sdltm".

Thank you once again,
Alejandro

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Updated translation units Aug 14, 2014

I guess that all the translation units that I confirm will also be saved in this "tmw" translation memory with the only problem that it does not get converted into "tmx" or "sdltm".

No, the plugin does not allow you to update a TMW translation memory, I think.

You would have to create a new empty Studio memory, add it to your project settings and mark it as "Update".

Daniel

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Project was cancelled Aug 14, 2014

Hi Daniel,

thank you for your answer. I asked my project manager if they could export the TM to a .tmx file and they also had problems handling the TM. They contacted the client but they could not open the file either, so the project has been cancelled until they find a solution.

They also wanted the TM to be updated and they did not want to run the risk of the TM not being updated.

Kind regards,
Alejandro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Programm crashed when upgrading tmw translation memory into Studio 2014

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search