https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/273839-numbers_in_repeated_segments.html

Numbers in repeated segments
Thread poster: Michiel Zijlstra
Michiel Zijlstra
Michiel Zijlstra  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:32
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Aug 26, 2014

I have a document with some segments that only include amounts:
These are seen as repetitions in Trados Studio.
The segments are:

$450,000
$100,00
$150,00
$50,00

When I translate the first occurrence as €450.000, the repeated segments are translated as follows:

$ 100.000
$ 150.000
$ 50.000

So, in the repeated segments, the euro sign is not copied, a space is inserted between the dollar sign and
... See more
I have a document with some segments that only include amounts:
These are seen as repetitions in Trados Studio.
The segments are:

$450,000
$100,00
$150,00
$50,00

When I translate the first occurrence as €450.000, the repeated segments are translated as follows:

$ 100.000
$ 150.000
$ 50.000

So, in the repeated segments, the euro sign is not copied, a space is inserted between the dollar sign and the number, but the thousands separator is copied correctly. Is there anything I can do to make this consistent?
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Auto-substitution Aug 26, 2014

I'm not sure if your problem is with thousand separators, decimal points, or both.
According to your example, your source text (in US English?) has $100,00. Since this doesn't exist in English, maybe Studio is interpreting it incorrectly?

A couple of other comments that won't solve your problem, but might help clarify things a bit:
Auto-substitution of numbers is language dependent.
Go to Project settings>language pairs>[your language pair]>Translation Memory and
... See more
I'm not sure if your problem is with thousand separators, decimal points, or both.
According to your example, your source text (in US English?) has $100,00. Since this doesn't exist in English, maybe Studio is interpreting it incorrectly?

A couple of other comments that won't solve your problem, but might help clarify things a bit:
Auto-substitution of numbers is language dependent.
Go to Project settings>language pairs>[your language pair]>Translation Memory and Auto.>Auto-substitution and have a look at your settings there.

Depending on these settings, Studio would insert a space in the case of measurements, but I don't think that's the case in your example.

Also, you can't expect Studio to localise from dollars to euros (it wouldn't make sense, as the amount would have to be localised too).

I hope this helps shed some light on your problem.
Collapse

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Terminjector... Aug 31, 2014

(download from OpenExchange) does a perfect job in 2009/2011 but is not up to it in 2014 , regardless of OS and SP1 in Studio:

Create the following text replacement files, make sure to save as UTF8:

\$([0-9].)([0-9]+),([0-9]+)([0-9]+) € \1\2.\3\4
\$([0-9]+),([0-9]+) € \1.\2

I"m also sending you 2 screen captures with the respective behaviour.

Drop me an e-mail if you're stuck.

Cheers,

Bernard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Numbers in repeated segments

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »