Upgrade to Studio 2014 mid-project
Thread poster: Eng_Copywriter

Eng_Copywriter  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 19:00
Member (2013)
Swedish to English
Aug 28, 2014

I purchased the 2014 upgrade package ages ago, but am still in the middle of an enormous project that keeps growing. I was planning on upgrading as soon as I have some spare time, but I'm still just as busy and the project I began before purchasing the upgrade keeps growing.

Because I waited to so long to upgrade (from 2009) I also have to upgrade to Windows 8 (from XP) within Parallells on my iMac. Yes, I know...

My question is, should I wait until I've completed the project (and hope this happens soon) rather than risk losing all my work, e.g. TMs etc., or can I save this information to my iMac (or flash drive) and be able to use it later. I.e. will everything be compatible?

Thanks for any help!

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:00
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Some changes Aug 28, 2014

You mention that you're upgrading from Studio 2009. In that case you'll have to create a new project, but you can use the same TMs and termbases, and you should be able to simply transfer the half-translated sdlxliff files to the new project.

You can't just re-open the 2009 project because Studio 2009 handled filetypes and subfolders in a different way.

If you've already upgraded, you may not be able to install Studio 2009 on your new OS, because the upgraded license lets you run 2009 and 2014 side by side on that computer, but when you get a new computer (or new OS) you will lose your license for 2009.
In that case, return your 2009 license from your current set-up, install your new OS and then install Studio 2014 and activate your license.

For details of which resources you need to save on a flash drive before reformatting your computer, check out a blog post I wrote on transferring Studio to a new computer:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2014/02/11/studio-on-a-new-computer/
(The instructions on copying projects don't apply in your case because you're upgrading to a different version).

You might also find this post useful about upgrading from Studio 2011 to 2014. It also gives a link to a thread on upgrading from 2009 to 2014:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/10/03/upgrade/

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrade to Studio 2014 mid-project

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search