Thread poster: Hanne Flor
Hanne Flor  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 04:46
English to Danish
+ ...
Sep 4, 2014

Hi all,

Today's project for me consists of five different files where several corrections have to be implemented. Those five files have previously been split up from just one big file (as Studio could not handle a file of that size). The files were not split up by chapters etc., but by word counts.

My reference document is a 436 page manual (PDF).

As I see it, I would have to keep on opening the files one by one and search for whatever term or sentence that should be changed. This will take forever.

Is there really no way I can open all five files at one time in Editor at one time? I've looked thoroughly in Studio's Help section and in this forum, but found no answers.

Hopefully this is possible, and hopefully someone knows how...??

Best regards,

Hanne

Direct link Reply with quote

kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Select all files, right click, select Open for translation Sep 4, 2014

see title.

Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
- not possible Sep 4, 2014

Hi kimjasper,

Thank you for replying, but actually I already tried that. When I right-click, the option 'Open for translation' (and 'Open for review' for that matter) is faded out.

Best regards,

Hanne

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Source/Target Sep 4, 2014

And you are viewing the target language files? Look to the left of the screen, under Files. Do you see the flag of the source language, or the target language? If it's the source language, select the target language from the drop-down menu.

That's the only thing I can think of as to why it doesn't work. I've never had a problem selecting multiple files in Studio for on-the-fly merging...

Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's not that either Sep 4, 2014

Yes, it's the Danish flag (target language) showing up on the left.

Actually, if I mark just one file out of the five, the desired option is not faded out.

Very strange.

Thank you anyway, Marie-Claude,

Hanne

Diarmuid Kennan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 03:46
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
Create a project Sep 4, 2014

Have you tried creating a project? When creating the project, include all the files you want to work on, then highlight the files and click on the merge option. All the files will open together as a single document. So, you can work on them all at once. Then, when you save target, Trados will split the file into it's constituent documents again.
Or have I misunderstood your question?

[Edited at 2014-09-04 11:58 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014: Opening several files at one time

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search