Unable to Finalise/Export finished translations
Thread poster: Colin Smith

Colin Smith  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:38
French to English
Sep 8, 2014

This hasn't been an issue so far because I send my translations back to customers as xliffs.

But now I need a finalised ("cleaned up") version in Word and it seems I can only generate sdlxliffs via the Save As or BatchTask/Finalise commands. .docx is not offere as an option anywhere.

In fact with my last translation, choosing Batch Tasks says "No tasks available".

Please help, as I cannot risk launching a translation that may have to be delivered as a finalised Word document.

Colin

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Bump.... Sep 9, 2014

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Shift F12 Sep 9, 2014

Shift F12 saves the target file in its native format.
Is that what you're looking for?

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes.. sort of Sep 9, 2014

Thanks Emma - yes that brings up the save as dialogue.

I think I have been confused slightly as the client sent me a Word doc for a quote but sent an sdlxliff (created in MemoQ) for translation.

Does that mean I can only generate an xliff/sdlxliff as the finalised translation? Even though the original document was in Word?

Thanks,

Colin

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Studio has some impressive features, but it can't do miracles! Sep 9, 2014

You're right. If you're only sent an sdlxliff file, then Studio can't produce anything else.

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes.. Sep 9, 2014

Thanks Emma. But I would have thought it possible to export a Word doc if the native document from which the sdlxliff was created was a Word doc, even if it was translated on another computer. It should be in the "DNA" of the sdlxliff!icon_smile.gif

Barbara Micheletto
Italy
Member (2005)
Russian to Italian
+ ...
Strange as it may seem... Sep 9, 2014

Recently I happened to open on my laptop an sdlxliffs file I had been working on on my desktop PC: in trying to finalize it I was only able to use the "Save target as" command and was getting the same message as you ("No tasks available..."). Then I read some hint here on Proz and noticed that if I first saved the file in Studio (as you normally do during your work), I was then able to finalize it as a Word file (.docx) through the BatchTask command.
In such a situation I opened an sldxliffs file preaviously generated from a Word file on another computer, and I was able to finalize it through the BatchTask command only after saving it (at least once) in Studio, as usual (CTRL +S).

Barbara

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:38
Finnish to French
sdlxliff or mqxliff? Sep 9, 2014

Colin Smith wrote:
I think I have been confused slightly as the client sent me a Word doc for a quote but sent an sdlxliff (created in MemoQ) for translation.

I'm surprised your client sent you an sdlxliff, if they are using memoQ. memoQ can process sdlxliff (native format of SDL Trados Studio), but it cannot create such files from nothing (or from a docx). The native XLIFF format of memoQ is mqxliff (uncompressed version) or mqxlz (compressed version).
Colin Smith wrote:
Does that mean I can only generate an xliff/sdlxliff as the finalised translation? Even though the original document was in Word?

All you can do in Studio is generate a translated version of the memoQ XLIFF file. You would need memoQ in order to generate the translated DOCX (and even then, only if the XLIFF file includes the "skeleton").

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 10, 2014

Thanks Barbara and Dominique, that is worth knowing. Yes it was an .mqxliff file in this instance, Dominique. We have been experimenting with various CAT tools and file formats, hence the confusion.

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 10, 2014

Thanks Barbara and Dominique, that is worth knowing. Yes it was an .mqxliff file in this instance, Dominique. We have been experimenting with various CAT tools and file formats, hence the confusion.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to Finalise/Export finished translations

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search