How to avoid multiple translations when updating TM?
Thread poster: yakky
yakky  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 13:25
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sep 10, 2014

Hello everyone,
Recently I found a strange thing when updating TM in Studio 2014.
I finished translating a sdlxliff file sentence by sentence with every sentence confrimed and sent to my TM.
Then my client reviewed my sdlxliff file and made some changes to my translation.
Now I want to use his revised sdlxliff file to update my TM. I use "update main translaiton memories" function to update my TM (in sdltm format), but I find those revised segments are not updated in my TM. This process just adds some multiple translations for those changed segments to my TM.

Could anyone tell me how to update my TM without adding multiple translations? Thanks a lot!

Direct link Reply with quote

Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
English to German
+ ...
You can't. Sep 13, 2014

Here is the relevant link on the topic:

http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/3149.html

The short answer is: You can't.
SDL disabled this functionality on purpose.
I have a client where I often get revisions later on, or even have to make an alignment of the revised translation and the source document, and I have absolutely no idea how I can deal with this problem.
It's another completely artificial problem SDL has created, but a particularly big one. The cost in wasted time is already considerably higher than the cost for the Studio software itself.
It's just recently that I realized that this is not a bug, or me not pressing the right button, this is SDL sabotaging my work.

I'm looking for some kind of tool where I can strip all TUs from my TM with an identical source, leaving only the most recent one.
Is there something like that? If not, I'm going to have to switch to a different CAT tool, because I have two important clients where I essentially cannot work with Studio because of this.

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:25
Italian to English
maybe there is a work around Sep 13, 2014

Maybe, if you work with a project TM and don't update the main translation memory when you have finished the project you could import it into the main translation memory selecting "overwrite existing translation". That way, as I understand it, you should have just the one and if you changed it from what was there previously, it will be changed instead of having two.

Eileen

Philippines
English to German
+ ...
That will help in some scenarios, not in others Sep 14, 2014

Eileen Cartoon wrote:

Maybe, if you work with a project TM and don't update the main translation memory when you have finished the project you could import it into the main translation memory selecting "overwrite existing translation". That way, as I understand it, you should have just the one and if you changed it from what was there previously, it will be changed instead of having two.

Eileen

That wouldn't help if I make an alignment of two DOCs and want to import the TMX, would it?
The big problem I have already is the fact that I have in many instances between 3 and 4 matches with identical source text and no easy way to distinguish between them. I need to mouse over all matches and compare dates and times.
Is there any way to rid my TM of these, or do I have to accept the fact that it's essentially destroyed?

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 07:25
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Workaround? Sep 14, 2014

One possible workaround (in the sense of working in circles) is to export to TMX (while cleaning the tags), import into Workbench and upgrade back using the same TM name (delete or move the old TM)
I do this all the time, because my main TM is in Workbench, which I still my main tool for certain types of documents.
I use a dedicated TM for each job, which I later I export to TMX and import into a Big Mama TM in WB.
For the next Studio job, irrespective of project, I upgrade said Big Mama (after deleting the corresponding SLDTM), under the same (old) name, so that Studio recognizes it on opening. This SLDTM is enabled for lookup and concordance, but NOT for update.

You could do the same with your project TMs.

This should solve your problem (the roundabout way) until SDL realizes that having potentially wrong old versions of segments propagated as context matches and having to carefully check each instance to find out which TM segment is wrong, is the nightmare of any translator and far outweighs any benefits of saying the same thing in slightly different ways.

HTH,
Sandra

yakky  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I cannot understand why Sep 14, 2014

Henning Holthusen wrote:

Here is the relevant link on the topic:

http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/3149.html

The short answer is: You can't.
SDL disabled this functionality on purpose.

Thank you, Henning Holthusen.
If this is true, I can't understand why SDL would choose to create this problem. Although in some circumstances, we really need different translations for the same original text, but that decision should be made by users.

However, if I accept this explaination, I would be more confused, because I find when I "update main translaiton memories", not all sentences with the same source language in the TM are "added", actually, some of them are "updated", and some of them are "added" as new segment pair. Why the inconsistency?

I try to update the TM by confirming each sentence in Editior, the result is the same: partially updated and partilly added.

yakky  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will try it Sep 14, 2014

Eileen Cartoon wrote:

Eileen

Thanks Eileen!
I will try it later.
If this works and SDL does not correct this problem, I guess this will add more non-productive work to me, since I always get so many correction works to do!

Considering this case: I have several revised sdlxliff files. I use them to update a project TM, and finally import the project TM into the main TM.
The question is: If there are repeated segments among these sdlxliff files, will that create multiple translations in the project TM after I update it?

By the way, is there any difference between project TM and main TM? I mean, could I work with a temporary "main" TM, then import this temporary TM into my main TM?

yakky  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
If I don't use Workbench Sep 14, 2014

Sandra& Kenneth wrote:

One possible workaround (in the sense of working in circles) is to export to TMX (while cleaning the tags), import into Workbench and upgrade back using the same TM name (delete or move the old TM)

Hi Sandra,
Thanks for your suggestion, but I don't quite understand why should I use TMX as a medium to transfer the memory, since I don't want to involve Workbench in my case.
As Eileen said, I may do this using sdltm file. Besides, you mentioned that you clean the tags when exporting, but the tags are important in my files, I need them in my following work.

Israel
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
You don't have to use WB Sep 14, 2014

Hi yakki,
When creating a TM in Workbench you can set the TM as to accept or not to accept multiple translations of the same source, which is precisely the point of this issue and what Studio no longer does. It only serves as a filtering stage.
You don't have to strip tags. If so, you should set WB no to save doubles if tags are different.

Philippines
English to German
+ ...
Maybe a way to get rid of the TUs? Sep 14, 2014

I'm wondering what would happen if I:

1. Export the SDLTM as TMX
2. Import the TMX into Workbench

Would Workbench keep only the newest version?
What would happen if I then import the TMX again into the Workbench TM?

Israel
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
That is exactly my whole point Sep 14, 2014

Hi Henning,

1. YES. You have to set your WB to keep the most recent TU (options: keep most recent, oldest, merge, overwrite existing units) in the import wizard.

When you import a TMX with these settings only the new TUs are imported. You will also get a message: X TUs processed, Y TUs added - so the whole process is quite transparent.

If you reimport the same TMX nothing will be added.

HTH,
Sandra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to avoid multiple translations when updating TM?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search