xlsx: How do I avoid importing text into SDL?
Thread poster: Roy Oestensen

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 08:19
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Sep 17, 2014

Hi!
I have been using a different CAT tool, but am about to change to SDL Studio (2014). I am still rather new to it, though.
From time to time I am asked to translate xlsx files with 1 column for each language. I, therefore, copy the English column over the Norwegian, and set all columns in red except the Norwegian.
In my CAT tool I have indicated that the red text should not be imported.

In Studio I am not able to find any settings for the import of each individual file, so I would appreciate if someone could guide me in how to handle the above scenario.

Roy

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Colour settings or hide Sep 17, 2014

You can skip a certain highlighted colour by customising the colour settings in file types. Before you import the file, go to File types > Excel 2007-2013 > color and choose the colour you want to skip.

Another way to process a single column in Studio is to hide the other columns in Excel. By default Studio won't display hidden rows/columns/sheets. This can be adjusted under "Common" in the Excel file type.

HTH,
Emma

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Colour settings or hide - thanks Sep 17, 2014

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I think the hide option will work better for me, as I have trouble seeing difference between the colours in the colour option. It would help if SDL added a bubble text saying what colour it is (I have trouble with red-green-brown, and orange, yellow and light green are also a trouble).

Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

xlsx: How do I avoid importing text into SDL?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search