Symbols in text file appear as boxes in Editor pane
Thread poster: Dan Lucas

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:35
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Sep 22, 2014

I'm using SDL Trados Studio 2014. I have a Japanese source file in plain text, encoded as UTF-16LE. When I use "Translate Single Document" the Japanese text appears to be loaded in the Editor pane without any problems.

However, I have two mathematical characters in the text, namely a little "l" and a capital "L". These are unicode code points 1D4C1 (MATHEMATICAL SCRIPT SMALL L) and 1D4DB (MATHEMATICAL BOLD SCRIPT CAPITAL L) respectively.

These two characters appear in the Editor pane as empty boxes, presumably because the font used in the Editor does not have a glyph for that code point. I was sort of expecting Studio to automagically use a font with the appropriate mathematical symbol to render these. Is it possible to get these to be displayed properly in the Editor pane?

Thanks
Dan

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:35
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
No suggestions? Sep 28, 2014

These two characters appear in the Editor pane as empty boxes, presumably because the font used in the Editor does not have a glyph for that code point.

No response from SDL? It's a little disappointing to have a translation tool apparently struggling to deal with unicode fonts...

Dan

[Edited at 2014-09-28 07:38 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Symbols in text file appear as boxes in Editor pane

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search