Studio 2014 on 2 computers
Thread poster: Kathryn Britton

Kathryn Britton
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:23
Italian to English
Sep 24, 2014

I have Studio 2014, freelance plus version. I think I can activate the licence on 2 computers but can I work on both of them - will all my projects be available on both computers? Can I work on one project on one computer but have another project up and running on the 2nd computer?

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:23
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Two instances Sep 24, 2014

Kathryn Britton wrote:

I have Studio 2014, freelance plus version. I think I can activate the licence on 2 computers but can I work on both of them - will all my projects be available on both computers?

Not automatically. But, you can create it twice, one for each computer (Studio won't realise that they are the same project), with separate source and SDLXLIFF files and share your TM on the cloud (e.g. DropBox) or elsewhere. You'll still have to update your SDLXLIFF file with the TM every time you switch computers.

Another option is to set up a single project with everything on DropBox. I've had problems with DropBox synchronising and Studio not finding the files, but it should work OK.

Can I work on one project on one computer but have another project up and running on the 2nd computer?

Yes, you're running two separate instances of Studio so you can work on completely different projects on each computer.

Natalia Kobzareva  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:23
Member (2009)
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes, you can Sep 24, 2014

But you will need to build identical paths to your project files on both computers, saving them, for example, on Dropbox.
I have the following path on my both computers: C:\Users\Natalia\Dropbox\Busines\Clients....
You will also have to save all your TMs on Dropbox building identical paths to them as well.
Works without glitch.

Vladimir Nadj  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
Bittorrent Sync Sep 24, 2014

Another alternative to dropbox which does not need external servers is Bittorrent sync. Just designate one folder for files that need to be updated, copy them there and the program will sync them whenever they are changed. Free, without bandwidth or storage limits. Available for Win, Mac, Linux, Android, IOS, Windows phone, BSD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_Sync

http://www.bittorrent.com/sync/download

Javier Wasserzug  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Alternativa Sep 25, 2014

Project Package Translation in SDL Trados Studio Starter
SDL Trados Studio Starter allows you to work with users using the full versions of SDL Trados Studio by enabling you to open project packages. Project packages contain the project files and all of the resources you need to translate or review files. When you open a project package, a project is automatically created from the package. You can then review or translate the files and create return packages to send back your completed work.

Project Package: HERE

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Package creation in prof. version only Sep 25, 2014

Javier Wasserzug wrote:

Project Package Translation in SDL Trados Studio Starter
SDL Trados Studio Starter allows you to work with users using the full versions of SDL Trados Studio by enabling you to open project packages. Project packages contain the project files and all of the resources you need to translate or review files. When you open a project package, a project is automatically created from the package. You can then review or translate the files and create return packages to send back your completed work.

Project Package: HERE

This would be a good idea if the OP had the professional, not the freelance version.
The "open package" process you describe above works for Starter/Freelance/Professional, but the "create package" feature is only available in the professional version.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 on 2 computers

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search