Adding folders to existing project and merging
Thread poster: philwhite
philwhite
Local time: 05:36
German to English
Sep 24, 2014

Using Studio 2014 SP1.

We are just starting a project that will run for several months and will ultimately encompass several hundred files.

We shall be receiving the files piecemeal with a given folder structure that needs to be replicated. We need to deliver the translation in its entirety at the end of the project.

Thus, we shall receive all the files for FOLDER1 together, then, a few days later, FOLDER2, and so on. There will probably be something like 17 folders in total.

There has also been a major terminology change in the target language since the last version (the source language is unaffected.

I therefore need to set up a project that will allow me to add folders as they arrive and generate the appropriate target structure. This is not a problem. Batch Tasks -> Add Folders.

BUT, to ensure that we capture the terminology change, I need to be able to merge all the files, at the latest at the end of the project, to do the filtering and searching/replacing. I can find no way of doing this either with permanently merged files or by merging "on the fly".

In the Files view, I can select an incoming folder, select all the files in it and "Open for translation", which merges those files on the fly for editing. I cannot, however, display and select all files in all folders and open them.

Any suggestions other than creating a complete project at the end of the job, retranslating (which means that the segment information is lost for the reviewer), merging all the files when creating the new project and making the changes in this merged file?

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding folders to existing project and merging

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search