Trados2014 docx file corrupted when saved through GTT
Thread poster: WorkyWords

WorkyWords  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:35
English to Dutch
Sep 25, 2014

Hi,
I opened a single file, .docx, Trados created the sdlxliff stuff and I started to translate.
Using Generate Target Translations creates the translated .docx, but...
-the layout is not the same.
-some lines are out of the frames and force an extra next-page.
I can solve it by redefining the alinea settings, but that has not the same layout. It is a lot of work.

How and where can I reset or adjust the word-settings from the original in Trados,
so that the GTT will create the same layout as in the original?

Thanks,
Pieter

Direct link Reply with quote

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:35
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
MS Word file converted from a PDF perhaps? Sep 26, 2014

I believe the issue might not be related to SDL Trados itself but to a previous conversion of a PDF into MS Word, or that your translation does not fit into the DTP created for the original file.

When translating, sometimes the foreign language is longer than the source language. You are not able to notice the formatting issues when translating using the SDEL editor interface, but when you export into the target file, those extra lengths will affect the final formatting.

I recommend you to: 1) shorten your translation (using less words or shorter words); 2) reduce the font size of the target file, or the space between lines.

Regards

Clarisa

WorkyWords  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:35
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you - this is it Sep 27, 2014

Hello Clarisa,

Thanks for your response. I think this is the problem. The Dutch language needs more words (very often) to say the same as in English. If I shorten the target, it helps. But I need the words

Caused by, I think as you said, the conversion from pdf to word. I don't know. I just have the .doc.
It has to do with the section ends that determine the place of the next page.
Thanks again.

Pieter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados2014 docx file corrupted when saved through GTT

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search