How can I "REPLACE ALL" without changing the whole sentence?
Thread poster: Kaori Kawakami
Kaori Kawakami
Kaori Kawakami  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:07
Member (2015)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Sep 27, 2014

Dear Colleagues,

I hope you all are going great.

I am a Trados Studio 2011 user. I am having a problem when I "replace all" during my final check before submission. And I would like to have your suggestion/advice on this.

Here is the thing:
For example,
1) I translate the whole document.
2) I proofread, and during this, I use the "replace all" function to, for example, to change 'like' to 'love.'
3) Then, from the top to down, I star
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

I hope you all are going great.

I am a Trados Studio 2011 user. I am having a problem when I "replace all" during my final check before submission. And I would like to have your suggestion/advice on this.

Here is the thing:
For example,
1) I translate the whole document.
2) I proofread, and during this, I use the "replace all" function to, for example, to change 'like' to 'love.'
3) Then, from the top to down, I start confirming segments. (e.g. On Segment #1, I confirm " I love NY."
4) Once I confirm one segment, some fuzzy matched segments below the newly confirmed segments, which were also open due to 'replace all,' changed to correspond the newly confirmed segment. (e.g. Segment #2, originally "I like SF" and I expected this segment to be "I love SF." But since I confirmed on Segment #1, it changed to 'I love NY.")

Is there any way to just change the points I wanted, without changing the whole segment, corresponding to the newly confirmed segments?

I hope I made myself clearly understood.

Thank you.

Kaori
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:07
English
Auto-propagation? Sep 27, 2014

Hi Kaori,

If I understand you correctly you are doing two things:

1. You are using Find & Replace to find the first segment you wish to change and then
2. You confirm the segment and find that subsequent segments are automatically changed

If this is the case it sounds as though this is related to your Auto-propagation settings. If you go to Tools -> Options -> Editor -> Auto-propagation you wil
... See more
Hi Kaori,

If I understand you correctly you are doing two things:

1. You are using Find & Replace to find the first segment you wish to change and then
2. You confirm the segment and find that subsequent segments are automatically changed

If this is the case it sounds as though this is related to your Auto-propagation settings. If you go to Tools -> Options -> Editor -> Auto-propagation you will see that it is possible to change these settings so that you either don't Auto-propagate at all, or control it with an option to prompt you each time.

Perhaps this will help?

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Kaori Kawakami
Kaori Kawakami  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:07
Member (2015)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked!! Sep 27, 2014

Thank you, Paul!! This has been a long-standing problem!! Thank you!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I "REPLACE ALL" without changing the whole sentence?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »