Thread poster: Huw Watkins

Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:59
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Sep 27, 2014

I very much like the autosuggest innovation that came with Studio and I like the ideas behind language cloud too in the 2014 version - it'll be interesting to see how that develops over time.

One idea occurred to me regarding these two applications actually. I would like to see autosuggest evolve into a predictive text type app, which actually learns from you as you type in real time. Therefore as you are working on a document that seems to have repeated phrases in different sentences within the document itself - it recognises that you've typed that phrase once (or more times) before and suggests it to you. I think that this could be linked to your language cloud so any real-time updates to your autosuggest or predictive typing app are stored there securely or something, which has the added advantage of making it available across machines - i.e. laptop and computer.

Taking this one step further, I would also like to see more use of multiterm extract in a similar vein. So when confirming a segment, the segment is analysed by a powerful cloud-based application that updates autosuggest and creates glossaries on the fly, making them available to the user more or less in real time. An alternative would be that the multiterm extract glossary feature happens at the end of the project when finalising, thus updating your Termbase or autosuggest dictionary based on the work just completed. The key thing is that the user doesn't have to spend lots of time doing it themselves.

Having this functionality driven by a cloud based app would also make sure that the local SDL Trados Studio client is not driving your computer too hard with all this real time stuff. Obviously this will involve considerable resources on the part of SDL, but I am sure us translators would be happy to upgrade to subsequent version of Studio if they had powerful features like that.

Perhaps I'm asking a bit too much...

P.S. One of the reasons I am musing on this is that I am currently translating a long list of documents tabled at a General Meeting and phrases like "devant être conclue ce jour" are popping up with huge regularity. My normal solution to this is to pop them into the termbase so the autosuggest feature takes it from there. However sometimes you have java issues so you cannot update your TB on the fly. So why not move away from this altogether and have a customisable SDL language cloud app do it for you, automatically?

[Edited at 2014-09-27 13:55 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A suggestion for Autosuggest & LC

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search