How to re-activate Trados 2011 after forgetting to return license?
Thread poster: rraimi
rraimi
United States
Sep 27, 2014

Hello, I posted on this topic a moment ago, but did not see the post appear. So, it is possible I'll end up posting twice about the same thing.

I reinstalled my operating system in the last few days. Unfortunately, I made a mistake and did not return a Trados 2011 upgrade license beforehand. So, when I reinstalled Trados 2009 and then Trados 2011 (which is what one had to do in order to use an upgrad license, I believe) I did not have valid activation codes for either one.

Has anyone else on this forum ever had a similar experience? If so, what did you do to resolve it?

It is very difficult to figure out how to contact SDL for this problem, their web page seems to offer no way to submit a help request if you don't have paid support----even though they do say they will help for free with licensing problems.

Thanks,

Richard

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:18
English
Self service Sep 27, 2014

Hi,

You can reset your own license by using the Self Service option in your MySDL account for SDL Trados 2011 and SDL Trados Studio 2014.

Go to KB article #5196 ( http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=5196 ) and follow the instructions.

Regards

Paul

rraimi
United States
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you---and a follow on question Sep 27, 2014

Thank you, Paul. I will try following your advice shortly. I didn't mention in my original post that we have one of those "plus" licenses that allow activation on two computers, and the second one is not with me at the moment. When I have both together I will try forcing the license return, as per the article you pointed me to.

But, if you or others could also help me with something else I'd appreciate it. We bought Trados Studio 2011 as an upgrade to our original Tradoes 2007-and-2009 license. Technically, Studio 2011 is an upgrade to just Studio 2009 (not 2007). Well, what I'm confused about is : do I need to return two licenses, one for Studio 2009 and one for Studio 2011?

If the answer to the above is "yes" that implies that one would normally have two licenses active after upgrading from Studio 2009 to Studio 2011, one for 2009 and one for 2011. But, as I remember it, after I upgraded (which was a while back) I had only one of the two active. And, as I remember it, when I would log into my account on the SDL website it would show a *different* one than when I would open SDL's "License Manager" application on my computer. One would show a license for 2009 but not 2011, the other the opposite. This was screwed up but I didn't care at the time because both 2009 and 2011 worked. However, not that I have to return and reactivate licenses, I think I need to clear up this confusion. (By the way, I saw a Proz post somewhere from someone else who experienced this same thing...)

So, does anyone know what licenses *should* look like, both in SDL's license manager tool and one SDL's website (under "My Account") after one upgrades from 2009 to 2011? Should one see a license for both, and should one see that both under "My Account" on the website and in the License Manager tool? If not, then what is the norm----and how does this affect returning a license?

Richard

P.S.: Sorry if this question is long and rambling---if SDL, as a company, would stop creating confusing and ambiguous user interfaces, all of our questions would probably become much shorter!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to re-activate Trados 2011 after forgetting to return license?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search