Studio 2011: Auto propagation wreaks havoc with my percentages!
Thread poster: Suzanne Raeli
Suzanne Raeli
Suzanne Raeli
Switzerland
Local time: 20:05
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
Sep 30, 2014

Hello,

I wonder if this mystery bug can finally be solved...

When I revise a document into French, and there are several segments each containing a percentage (from a table for instance), I insert a non breaking space between the number and the percentage if this has not been done by the translator (i.e. 50 % and not 50%).

Upon confirming the segment, Trados zooms up and down the document by autopropagation, inserts spaces in some cases (correctly), and i
... See more
Hello,

I wonder if this mystery bug can finally be solved...

When I revise a document into French, and there are several segments each containing a percentage (from a table for instance), I insert a non breaking space between the number and the percentage if this has not been done by the translator (i.e. 50 % and not 50%).

Upon confirming the segment, Trados zooms up and down the document by autopropagation, inserts spaces in some cases (correctly), and in other cases RANDOMLY DELETES the space between the number and the percentage sign. And then confirms the segment... If I correct the randomly deleted spaces, it will delete other ones... So I have to lock each segment as I go along to stop this nightmare of surreptitious error insertions. For very long texts, this is a major waste of time.

This happens for segments containing only percentages, no text.

The same thing happens for segments containing only numbers (10000-> 10 000).

Any ideas how to avoid this, without disabling autopropagation or having Trados prompt me for each number?

Thanks!
Collapse

kimjasper
kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 20:05
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Edit project settins Sep 30, 2014

This usually works:
Project Settings > Language Pairs > English -> French (example, do not select All Language Pairs) > Translation Memory ... > Auto-substitution > Measurements > select the second option: Use the same spacing ... that is used in the translation memory segment

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: Auto propagation wreaks havoc with my percentages!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »