Warning/Error when updating a TM
Thread poster: Anne_B
Anne_B  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:46
English to German
Oct 7, 2014

Hi all,

I'm having difficulty updating TMs using the batch tasks in SDL Studio.

When I try to update a TM using the batch task Finalize or Update Main Translation Memories, the following warning is displayed:

An error occurred updating the translation memory for language pair 'xx -> xx'. The error was "The translation memory cannot import the translation unit because the translation memory does not have a field corresponding to a field in the translation unit." and the segment was "Best Practice" [.mif.sdlxliff].

This warning is displayed for every segment in the file, that is, for a file with 200 segments I get 200 error messages.

This issue appears regardless if I use the regular TM or a newly-created, empty TM. The source files are FrameMaker 10.
Both SDL Studio 2011 and 2014 are affected.

Although it's a warning, no segments are imported into the TM.

However, I can manually update a TM by going to Translation Memories, right-clicking on a TM and selecting Import.

Given the number of files that I have to translate it's a little annoying to have to take this detour for every file.

Has anyone come across this issue before, or would you have any idea what causes this? I'm a little puzzled by the mention of "fields in the translation unit". I have no idea what kind of fields could be meant here.

I'd be grateful for suggestions or tips how to solve this.

Many thanks in advance,
Anne

Direct link Reply with quote

George Cook
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Annoying problem Oct 8, 2014

We have the same issue from time to time. The warning is referring to the additional fields that it's possible to assign to TMs when they are created.

This error normally occurs when the file has been translated using a TM containing an added field, and then you try to update it into a TM that does not contain this field. From what you've said, however, it doesn't sound like this is what you're trying to do. The most likely answer would be if you had translated using one TM (where this field exists) and then tried to update another TM (where it doesn't).

The easiest way to solve this would be to add the relevant field to the TM you're trying to clean up into, however that relies on being able to find out what this mystery field is entitled.

Unless you've got an idea what this extra field is already, there's no easy way to find out what it is. You could try checking in your Project Settings under "Translation Memory and Automated Translation" - "All Language Pairs" - "Update". Any added fields and their values will be shown here, however the error you're getting suggests that there is a field that should be there but isn't, rather than the other way around.

If you could give a few more details about your workflow (ie whether you use a project template etc.), and how your TM is set up, then it might help to get to the root of the problem.

Anne_B  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Fixed, but no idea how Oct 13, 2014

Hi George,

Thanks for your kind offer. For now, I somehow managed to fix the issue. "Somehow" meaning that I really have no idea what was wrong in the first place. I played around with different fields and TMs, but was too unorganized to note down the changes. My guess is that I changed a TM in the project settings, but didn't update the settings under "All Language Pairs" - "Update" correspondingly.

But on the bright side, I can update my TM again via the batch tasks.

If I come across the issue again, I'll try to properly investigate and post my findings here.

Regards,
Anne

Anninili
Local time: 19:46
English to German
+ ...
Same problem, same workaround, no explanation Oct 16, 2014

Hi,

I get the same message from time to time, for single files, for entire books or even within a project when file 1 was okay and file 2 is not, both using the same TM, have identical settings etc. I couldn't find a way to reproduce it, it comes and goes randomly (and it is catogorized as "wtf" in my personal "annoying Studio features" list).

I also do not have a "proper", clean and consistent solution (or explanation): sometimes I have to import the files manually to the TM (this always works but gets tiresome depending on the number of files), sometimes it is enough to close and open Studio, sometimes I have the docu department create new books/MIFs.

The error message is not really helpful, I have no clue what fileds they are talking of... and as I am the only one messing around with our TMs and properties, I am absolutely sure that I do no add/remove fields to a TM, especially not during a project and my project templates are the same since we created them.

And I also use FM10 and Studio 2011 and 2014

Regards,
Anneliese

Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 20:46
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Same problem here Jan 17, 2015

Has anyone found a solution to this problem. I am having trouble updating a TM right now for the same reason.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning/Error when updating a TM

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search