Giuseppe Bellone
Italy
Local time: 10:04
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 8, 2014

Hello,
this is what I found and did not understand at all.

I had to translate some slides with Open Office Powerpoint
The slides contained this kind of text (here invented as an example), with a title and a numbered question each (here no. 3, as an example), then a list of answers with a letter:

QUESTIONS to customers
3 Why do you like chocolate?
a It's brown
b It's good
c It's sweet

Why does STUDIO 2014 when creating the SEGMENTS for the translation cupsize the order and put the sentence "3 Why do you like chocolate?" at the END instead of leaving it WHERE IT IS, i.e. before the list of answers?

Is it because Studio first segment the sentences with with letters (a, b, c)? and then it segment the text with numbers (3)?

If so how can this very confusing action be avoided?

This enormous confusion this creates is easily understood, one can't rely on the segmentation of the sentences and has to continuosly refer to another page with the whole source text, to check the right order and to understand the correct meaning of what is being translated.

Why does Studio behave this way and DOES NOT FOLLOW the PRECISE ORDER of the source sentences when it creates the segments?

Was it MY FAULT? Where did I make a mistake?

This is getting me crazy (
Thank you for your kind answer.

Giuseppe Bellone

P.S. There was NO PREVIEW available on the right, so I had to constantly keep a copy open of the source document on another PowerPoint page to check the FLOW of my translation and to understand what I was doing...

[Modificato alle 2014-10-08 11:26 GMT]

[Modificato alle 2014-10-08 12:22 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Studio will not change the order of segments Oct 8, 2014

Hi Giuseppe

I can't imagine that Studio will change the order of the segments, as the segmentation operation is sequential.
The question here is whether these sentences are separated by a hard or a soft return in the PowerPoint presentation.

If they are separated by a hard return, you should get 4 segments in the Editor, in the order 3, a ,b c.

If they are not, you will probably get all the content in one segment and will need to split it manually.

Walter

Giuseppe Bellone
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Walter Oct 9, 2014

Hi Walter,
thank you.

I actually imagined that the problem might be caused by Powerpoint sequence of sentence, I did suspect some strange behaviour when the CAT tools are combined with other formats different from Word.

One question though: ARE YOU SURE Studio really follows the true sequence of the SOURCE sentences, WHICH IS JUST WHAT IT SHOULD DO, to AVOID TOTAL CONFUSION in the poor translator?

I still have some doubts about the way the segments are created, I've noticed strange things, although I admit I have to try the tool further, I'm new to it.

In my case the ANSWERS to the questions listed A-B-C were placed on the first three segments, and the QUESTION which was indicated as question number 3, instead of being placed as the FIRST segment, (questions come before answers!!!), was placed AFTER the answers....

Just imagine if the answers had been 10... or more.... I would have seen and translated the question after all those segments, ... with doubts, confusion and stress, and waste of time going back and fro to understand the whole paragraph....

Or even worse if I had had a page with the title and perhaps a subtitle... would these have been placed AFTER the whole page? ABSURD, to say the least!!!

I do hope, as you think, the problem was caused by Powerpoint and NOT by Studio 2014 or it would be very very bad...

I hope someone from Trados will send an answer as well.

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Best regards,

Giuseppe

[Modificato alle 2014-10-09 06:12 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Can we see the slide... Oct 9, 2014

Giuseppe Bellone wrote:

The slides contained this kind of text (here invented as an example), with a title and a numbered question each (here no. 3, as an example), then a list of answers with a letter:

QUESTIONS to customers
3 Why do you like chocolate?
a It's brown
b It's good
c It's sweet

... with just an example of this where it segments incorrectly? I imagine it will be simple for you to replicate and then we can explain why things work the way they do. Without the source it's very hard to comment because Walter is correct, so there has to be a rational explanation for it.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

[Edited at 2014-10-09 06:46 GMT]

Giuseppe Bellone
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Paul Oct 9, 2014

Hi Paul,
for non disclose reasons I have to delete the names, but I'll send the screenshots of what I got.

I'll send to the address you provided as I can't attach anything here.

Thank you very much for your kindness.

Best regards,

Giuseppe

Giuseppe Bellone
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Oct 9, 2014

Hi Paul,
I thank you very much for your help.

Things are certainly complicated at the beginning, but I think the CAT tool is great and I'll try to make the best of all its features...

Best regards,

Giuseppe

[Modificato alle 2014-10-09 14:39 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

STUDIO 2014 - Order of Segmentation in the editor

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search