Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:24
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Oct 9, 2014

The only place I can access seems to be Project settings, but I would like to configure the software as such.
The problem is, every time when the cursor is set to a segment containing only numbers (currency, dates etc.) Studio either copies the content to the source or attempts to interpret it and makes 128 out of 12.8 for example. I would like Studio to ignore segments that contain only numbers and treat them as translated. But where can I change the settings?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:24
English
You could... Oct 9, 2014

... ask numbers and dates to be ignored. But this may not be the best approach as you'll then lose the ability to handle them automatically inside text. But if you do then go to your Translation Memory settings for the TM you are using and uncheck number and date recognition in Fields and Settings.

A better option is to select alll of these segments before you start (use the display filter for this or something like the SDLX
... See more
... ask numbers and dates to be ignored. But this may not be the best approach as you'll then lose the ability to handle them automatically inside text. But if you do then go to your Translation Memory settings for the TM you are using and uncheck number and date recognition in Fields and Settings.

A better option is to select alll of these segments before you start (use the display filter for this or something like the SDLXLIFF Toolkit) and copy source to target, then set status as confirmed and lock them (belt and braces). This way you can also use the display filter to work with unlocked and not even have to see them if appropriate.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Paul Oct 9, 2014

So there is room for improvement in this software. Wordfast has always handled this issue elegantly.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:24
English
Of course... Oct 9, 2014

... but when you say room for improvement and compare it with another tool it's worth thinking about the advantages compared to another tool and even the workaround here is just using the features of the tool to handle things quickly.

But every tool has room for improvement... or we'd never have to respond to a post other than to say thank you for all the praise

Regards

Paul

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are right Oct 9, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

... but when you say room for improvement and compare it with another tool it's worth thinking about the advantages compared to another tool and even the workaround here is just using the features of the tool to handle things quickly.

But every tool has room for improvement... or we'd never have to respond to a post other than to say thank you for all the praise

Regards

Paul

It would be an unbearable situation if we had nothing to complain about. So let's hope developers will stick to their line and rather not take notice of useful features in their competitors' products

This work-around did cost me much time when I was translating a balance book the other day.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to configure Studio 2014?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »