Cannot enable Trados 2014 Spell checker (grayed out) (incompatible language)
Thread poster: Mike Fuentes

Mike Fuentes  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 10, 2014

Dear global linguistic community,
if you know the way out of this Trados 2014 ditch, please help me out.

This translation is from English to Spanish of about 20 source files (MS Word Compatibility 97-2003). Delivery format is Trados 2014 TM.

My brand new Trados Studio 2014 refuses to enable and run the spell checker (appears grayed out and there is a parenthetical sign reading: (Language incompatible).

It does not underline in red typos/misspells as I write, and the F7 cannot run either.

-I have made sure that the languages on source files and those in the Trados project setup are consistent (US English in source and US. English >U.S. Spanish in Trados project setup).

-I have checked that the dictionary in MS Word (Office 2013, running on Windows 8) is active and it works fine.

So far, unfruitful efforts,

Any tip to solve this lame duck software will be greatly appreciated!!

Miguel

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:45
English
I'm not 100% on this... Oct 12, 2014

... but the problem might be related to the installation of Office 365 if you installed it with the click to run installer. Take a look at this article and if you recognise the way you installed Office it may be the cause:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=5013&source=article&c=12&cid=23

If so the options are going to be these:

1. Use the Hunspell spellchecker instead of MSWord
2. Export for external review and then spellcheck in MSWord
3. Install the Professional version of MSOffice 2013 with the msi installer

I know we are working on a solution to the MSWord installer problem but this probably won't be available until next year. The reason we had no problem with this in previous versions in because the msi installer used to be available for all versions, but since MSoft introduced the click to run installer in Office 2013 they left out some of the components we need in order to integrate with some of the features.

Regards

Paul

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:45
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Try another Spanish flavour Oct 12, 2014

I'm running a non-MSI version of Office 2013 (Home and Business) with Win 8.1 and I don't have problems with the spell checker in Studio 2014.

I think your issue might be to do with the US Spanish language variant. Why not try setting up a project with English (United States) to Spanish (Mexico)?

Also, just in case, have you made sure that the MS Word spell checker is enabled in File>Options>Spelling>Active spell checker? And have you checked the box below, "check spelling as you type"?

Mike Fuentes  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Emma! The MS Word file had review/editing lockouts Oct 17, 2014

Thank you also to SDL support.

As with many (too many) Trados errors, the issue is with how the source files are configured when feed to the CAT.

Hmmmpf, just like another error we just solved:

KB #4656 | Error message when creating target file for a PDF document in SDL Trados Studio: The context list is null. Could not get the last child.

Follow the steps below to workaround that problem:

Make sure all your translations are stored in a translation memory.
Go to Tools > Options > File types > Microsoft Word 2007-2010 > Common.
Change Always process hyperlinks to Never process hyperlinks.
Go to Tools > Options > File types > PDF > Common.
Change Always process hyperlinks to Never process hyperlinks.
Confirm the changes with OK. This will also close the Options dialog box.
Re-open your source PDF file in Studio and run the Pre-translate Files batch task using your translation memory from step 1.
You should now be able to save your target document without the error message.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot enable Trados 2014 Spell checker (grayed out) (incompatible language)

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search