Inge Meinzer
Inge Meinzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:57
German to English
+ ...
Oct 12, 2014

Hi,

I imported a PDF (24 pages, two columns on each page) into Studio 2014 for translation. I checked whether I could save the target and did not see any problems except for minor formatting issues. Definitely no error message. Now that I am finished, I went to save the target and got this error: "Failed to save target content: Name cannot begin with the '

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:57
English
Working with PDF Oct 12, 2014

Inge Meinzer wrote:

I imported a PDF (24 pages, two columns on each page) into Studio 2014 for translation. I checked whether I could save the target and did not see any problems except for minor formatting issues. Definitely no error message. Now that I am finished, I went to save the target and got this error: "Failed to save target content: Name cannot begin with the '<' character, hexadecimal value 0x3C. Line 2, position 2466." The file name does not begin with or contain any symbol, it starts with "2". Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Hi,

probably the best approach is this:

1. Open the PDF in Studio
  2. Immediately Save Source (or look in the Project folder and you'll find a DOCX in there anyway)
  3. Clean up the DOCX. See this post - How to get rid of a tag soup in Trados Studio
  4. Now translate the DOCX instead of the PDF

You'll have less problems working with a PDF this way. The other solution you could try, although this involved purchasing different software, is to use a tool called InFix. This does a pretty good job of extracting the text from a PDF into a text or xml file, you then handle the text only and import the translated text back into the PDF. The advantage of this approach is that you are not transforming the PDF into a poor rendition of the original. So the file you return is also a PDF and it looks a lot better.

PDF files can be tricky to deal with, and the tag error you have won't refer to the < character in your text.

Regards

Paul

Inge Meinzer
Inge Meinzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:57
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks, Paul! Oct 13, 2014

I appreciate your quick response. First I tried using the Word doc as you suggested. Unfortunately, even CodeZapper did not work. It kept stalling and I finally wound up using InFix. It would have worked, I think, had I exported the file properly for translation rather than just exporting the document. As it was, I wound up with 25 target files in XML that are linked together.

Now I have to figure out how to produce the PDFs asap. Any idea how I can get this done fast? Sorry to bot
... See more
I appreciate your quick response. First I tried using the Word doc as you suggested. Unfortunately, even CodeZapper did not work. It kept stalling and I finally wound up using InFix. It would have worked, I think, had I exported the file properly for translation rather than just exporting the document. As it was, I wound up with 25 target files in XML that are linked together.

Now I have to figure out how to produce the PDFs asap. Any idea how I can get this done fast? Sorry to bother you once more?

Kind regards,
Inge
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Can you send me... Oct 13, 2014

... the following:

1. The original PDF
  2. The fully translated sdlxliff files based on the xml files you exported
  3. The fully translated sdlxlif file based on the PDF you originally translated

I can take a look and see what I can do with the fil
... See more
... the following:

1. The original PDF
  2. The fully translated sdlxliff files based on the xml files you exported
  3. The fully translated sdlxlif file based on the PDF you originally translated

I can take a look and see what I can do with the file.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]
Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:57
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Name cannot begin with the '<' character Feb 4, 2015

I have this problem too and cannot find a solution.

From reading another thread (http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/210410-severe_bug_the_context_list_is_null_could_not_get_the_last_child-page2.html#2392345) where I posted my problem as well, I thought it might be that I was tryi
... See more
I have this problem too and cannot find a solution.

From reading another thread (http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/210410-severe_bug_the_context_list_is_null_could_not_get_the_last_child-page2.html#2392345) where I posted my problem as well, I thought it might be that I was trying to save a file that has not been completely translated (although I have done that with word files in the past just fine).

I deleted all pages in a 270 (80K) pdf that I had not translated yet and saved it as a new pdf, then saved that as a word file. I created a new project and a new sdlxliff for this file and used my TM from the previous project.

Unfortunately, Trados segmented differently, such that only 60% of the text was full CM matches. I had to go through the remaining 40% of segments and edit these, which took me several hours.

Now I have a 100% translated document, and I am still getting this error.

Failed to save target content: Name cannot begin with the < character, hexadecimal value 0x3C. Line 2, position 5413.

Link to the error file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4z7ximxdbuxbxsm/sdlerror-201523-19h13m37s.sdlerror.xml?dl=0

Does anyone have any idea? I purchased the upgrade to Studio 2014 a year ago, and although it has some very nice features, I am disappointed about its TM functions, and now I am about to be done with it all together and try something else.

[Edited at 2015-02-04 01:02 GMT]
Collapse

Simon Davies
Simon Davies  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Even easier solution Dec 11, 2015

I had this problem this morning with the < character issue.

I created a new project, pre-translated the file using the TM from the problematic source file and then, without saving the sdlcliff file, I went straight to ctrl+f12 and bingo. It worked.

A fluke? Who knows, but try it first, sure as hell beats messing around with the other solutions and takes literally 1 minute

Regards

[Edited at 2015-12-11 11:26 GMT]

Irene Johnson
Irene Johnson  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
One solution to this problem Mar 2, 2016

I had the same problem when saving my target file. After looking at the sdlxliff file in Notepad, I found that the problem seemed to be in one of my comments.

I went back into the translation on Trados, and saw that I had inserted a hyperlink into my comment. I deleted the comment, then tried generating the target file again, and it worked without a hitch.

Eloisa Anchezar
Eloisa Anchezar  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
Thank you Irene! Your comment helped me a lot! Sep 26, 2016

Irene Johnson wrote:

I had the same problem when saving my target file. After looking at the sdlxliff file in Notepad, I found that the problem seemed to be in one of my comments.

I went back into the translation on Trados, and saw that I had inserted a hyperlink into my comment. I deleted the comment, then tried generating the target file again, and it worked without a hitch.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error in Studio 2014 when trying to save target

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »