Segmentation problems in Trados 2014
Thread poster: Tradeus Stevens
Tradeus Stevens
Tradeus Stevens
United States
French to English
Oct 12, 2014

Hello everybody,

I'm translating a series of product descriptions in Trados studio 2014 and a lot of my translation units are clusters divided by hyphens looking something like this:

Gamme de mesure dynamique 50dB - Plage de mesure de 30dB à 130dB - Réponse rapide 125ms ou lente 1s - Résolution 0,1dB - Sortie analogique 1Vrms et 10mVDC/dB - Pondération A et C - Mémoire de 32.700 mesures - Affichage 2.000 points et bargraphe - Liaison USB pour PC - Alimentation par
... See more
Hello everybody,

I'm translating a series of product descriptions in Trados studio 2014 and a lot of my translation units are clusters divided by hyphens looking something like this:

Gamme de mesure dynamique 50dB - Plage de mesure de 30dB à 130dB - Réponse rapide 125ms ou lente 1s - Résolution 0,1dB - Sortie analogique 1Vrms et 10mVDC/dB - Pondération A et C - Mémoire de 32.700 mesures - Affichage 2.000 points et bargraphe - Liaison USB pour PC - Alimentation par 1 pile 9V (fournie) - Dimensions 278x76x50mm - Poids :

In order to break things up, I created a "hyphen rule" in Project settings>Segmentation and selected "all" (or whatever it's called in English) in the "before/after line break" boxes and re-indexed the translation memory but this seems to have had no effect whatsoever.

I'm still getting my bearings on Trados 2014, but I can't find the handy tab enabling you to adjust the overall number of translation units like in Trados 2009.

Would any of you know where may have gone wrong? I have a rush translation and all this is really slowing me down : /

Thank you
Collapse

Tradeus Stevens
Tradeus Stevens
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
temporary fix Oct 12, 2014

So in desperation, I replaced hyphens with colons in my source text (an Excel spreadsheet), and that seems to be working. It would be nice to what can be done about the original problem though for the future, as I'm going to have to waste a bunch of time afterward changing certain colons back to hyphens in the target text.

Unrelated, but Multiterm + Trados 2014 issues are making me want to club baby seals as well.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:34
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Reprocess the source file Oct 13, 2014

Tradeus Stevens wrote:

In order to break things up, I created a "hyphen rule" in Project settings>Segmentation and selected "all" (or whatever it's called in English) in the "before/after line break" boxes and re-indexed the translation memory but this seems to have had no effect whatsoever.

Once you've created a new segmentation rule in your TM, then you'll have to re-segment your source file by re-creating the project. That should work.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:34
English
Segmentation rules Oct 13, 2014

Hi,

You change the segmentation rule on the TM and it will only take effect when you first prepare your project. You do this by going to your Translation Memory in the Translation Memories View, right-click and select Settings -> Language Resources -> Segmentation Rules, or just click on the Settings icon in the ribbon and then Language Reso
... See more
Hi,

You change the segmentation rule on the TM and it will only take effect when you first prepare your project. You do this by going to your Translation Memory in the Translation Memories View, right-click and select Settings -> Language Resources -> Segmentation Rules, or just click on the Settings icon in the ribbon and then Language Resources -> Segmentation Rules.

The rule that seems to work just fine in your case is this:

Before break:
Space

Break character:
-

After break:
Space

The adjustment of the overall number of TUs in view at a time is adjusted in File -> Options -> Translation Memories View -> Number of Translation Units per page.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Tradeus Stevens
Tradeus Stevens
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Success! Oct 13, 2014

Thank you so much to both of you, that did the trick!

I'm new here but I plan to consult the proz forums more often. What a great initiative.

Have a nice day,

Brian

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segmentation problems in Trados 2014

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »