TagEditor: Error reading TTX file header
Thread poster: Niels Barfoed
Niels Barfoed
Niels Barfoed  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:04
English to Danish
+ ...
Dec 15, 2004

Does anyone have an idea what I can do? When trying to open a ttx file I received from a client in TagEditor I get an error message saying: (40007):Error reading TTX file header: Invalid document structure.

I mean, it sounds as if the file is corrupt, but is there any way I can circumvent the problem and open the file anyway?

I don't know which is the file's original format, but I am using Trados ver. 6.0, Windows XP Prof. and Word 2000.

Any clues/idear wo
... See more
Does anyone have an idea what I can do? When trying to open a ttx file I received from a client in TagEditor I get an error message saying: (40007):Error reading TTX file header: Invalid document structure.

I mean, it sounds as if the file is corrupt, but is there any way I can circumvent the problem and open the file anyway?

I don't know which is the file's original format, but I am using Trados ver. 6.0, Windows XP Prof. and Word 2000.

Any clues/idear would be much appreciated, Thanks in advance
Nich
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Which version was used to create the TTX file? Dec 15, 2004

Hi Niels,
Can you find out which Trados version was used to create the file? (Open the TTX file using a text editor and search for CreationToolVersion).

To find out about the source document, search for SourceDocumentPath and PlugInInfo.

Best regards,
Ralf

Niels Barfoed
Niels Barfoed  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is this the info? Dec 15, 2004

I believe this is the info you are telling me to find:

CreationToolVersion="6.5.2.417"
SourceDocumentPath="C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\‚¥〹〯‚¦‚¡‚µ\mh50_mif\T\DR-MH50-help.rtf" PlugInInfo=""/>

Does it help you to help me?? By the way, I have previously had no problems with the ttf files from the same client and relating to the same job......

[Edited at 2004-12-15 15:56]

Victor Sidelnikov
Victor Sidelnikov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:04
English to Russian
+ ...
Incosistency between Trados 6.5.5 and Trados with version < 6.5.5 Dec 15, 2004

I faced with a similar problem when translator used Trados 6.5.5. With my Trados v.6.5.2 I can edit a such ttx-file but after closing I can't to open it more.

I see possible scenario: your client open with Trados 6.5.2 ttx-file prepared with Trados 6.5.5 and use Save command for closing. If version of your Trados lower 6.5.5 you will get a such error.

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Patch release - build 439 vs. 438 Dec 15, 2004

Hi,
Inconsistencies between 6.5.5 (build 438) and earlier versions were rectified by a patch released in September - see this article from the Trados KB for details.

Best regards,
Ralf

strautwein
strautwein
German to English
+ ...
Update? Sep 13, 2005

Hi,

okay, I am still using Trados 6.5.2.417 - the file I am working on was created with 6.5.5 - on the Trados Website there is an upadte file - but no new registrations for downloading are accepted. Who can help? Thanks.

laurenzze2000
laurenzze2000
German to French
Same problem - no solution Jun 6, 2008

Dear all,

I have the same problem when trying to open a translated *.doc.ttx file in TagEditor. The error message "Error reading TTX file header: Invalid document structure" appears.

Background information:
A*.doc file had to be translated into English. As we always had problems with the translated files we received from our translator (clean-up didn't work), I opened the original *.doc file in TagEditor (SDL Trados TagEditor 7.5.0.759 (Build 759) - Part of SDL T
... See more
Dear all,

I have the same problem when trying to open a translated *.doc.ttx file in TagEditor. The error message "Error reading TTX file header: Invalid document structure" appears.

Background information:
A*.doc file had to be translated into English. As we always had problems with the translated files we received from our translator (clean-up didn't work), I opened the original *.doc file in TagEditor (SDL Trados TagEditor 7.5.0.759 (Build 759) - Part of SDL Trados 2006; Windows XP Professional; Word 2000) and saved it as *.doc.ttx. I thought it might have something to do with the path that is saved in the *.doc.ttx file... But as I tried to open the translated file the same problem occurred. And it's not only with *.doc files but also with *.ppt, *.xls...

I don't know what to do to make it work properly! Our translator works with SDL Trados 7 Freelance, Word 2003 on a MAC with operating system Windows XP on Parallel Desktop. I'm not sure if SDL Trados 7 Freelance is a higher version than the one we are working with!? Maybe that's the problem? Or maybe there is an incompatibility between Mac - Windows PC?

I also tried to open the translated *.doc.ttx file in an Editor to find out something about the "CreationToolVersion", but there's nothing in it but some cryptical characters...

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Ruth
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
AFAIK, no solution to this Jun 8, 2008

Hi everybody,
I suspect there is no other solution to this problem but obtainig the source-format files and creating the TTX yourselves.
I wonder why this is happening, as TTX is in fact an XML-based format so compatibility between different TE versions should actually not be an issue. Apparently, it is.

Eija Teppo
Eija Teppo
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
Tag editor does not clean .doc.ttx file - anyone has solution for this? Dec 6, 2008

I have SDL Trados 2007, the original file is .doc.ttx format. While cleaning up I am getting the error message: "unable to find the original files. Tried to do all the suggested, copy pasted the text into notepad, found "SourceDocumentPath", changed the path containing the file name, checked tat names are not changed, location of the file is the same as the priginal. othing helps. Any hints appreciated! Deadline tomorrow....

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Post a new topic Dec 6, 2008

Hi Smilex,

smilex2005 wrote:

I have SDL Trados 2007, the original file is .doc.ttx format. While cleaning up I am getting the error message: "unable to find the original files. Tried to do all the suggested, copy pasted the text into notepad, found "SourceDocumentPath", changed the path containing the file name, checked tat names are not changed, location of the file is the same as the priginal. othing helps. Any hints appreciated! Deadline tomorrow....

Rather than re-starting an old topic, may I suggest to start a new one.

Best regards,
Ralf

TTilch
TTilch  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Solution to the problem "Error reading TTX file header: Invalid document structure" Mar 30, 2012

When you receive the message "Error reading TTX file header: Invalid document structure" it means that something in the header has been changed.

In order to find out what has been changed, you have to compare the translated TTX and the original TTX file. You can open them in Notepad (right-click, Open with..., Notepad).

Look at the first 2-3 lines of the TTX files and compare them. Example:

?

Another user has update
... See more
When you receive the message "Error reading TTX file header: Invalid document structure" it means that something in the header has been changed.

In order to find out what has been changed, you have to compare the translated TTX and the original TTX file. You can open them in Notepad (right-click, Open with..., Notepad).

Look at the first 2-3 lines of the TTX files and compare them. Example:

?

Another user has updated this Survey Answer while you were editing

(it seems the code I snipped from the TTX file cannot be properly displayed on this page, sorry)

In my case the very first ? character may have been the culprit:
?
because on comparing the 2 files I found out that it was not contained in the original TTX file.
It may be something else with your file; the Word comparison function may help you find out where something has been changed.

I overwrote these first 2-3 lines with the lines from the original file and saved the file (best work with a copy of your translated file, though).

When trying to open the TTX file, I now received a different message:

(40007): Error reading TTX file: An exception occured! Type:UTFDataFormatException, Message:Invalid second byte of a UTF-8 character sequence"

By using the Save command, Notepad changed the encoding of the file.
It is better to use the Save as command so that you can check that the encoding is "Unicode" and not "ANSI" for example.

After taking care of this, the TTX file could be opened normally.

Hope this helps others, too.

Best regards,

Tanja

[Bearbeitet am 2012-03-30 03:22 GMT]
Collapse

Bora Taşdemir
Bora Taşdemir  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:04
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Delete ?s Sep 20, 2012

Dear colleagues,

I have opened the ttx file with wordpad and deleted ?s on header. And then I could open it with Tag Editor.
(I use Trados 2007)

Hope this works for all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor: Error reading TTX file header

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »