Thread poster: Jacques DP

Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 10:21
Member (2003)
English to French
Oct 16, 2014

Hello,

I don't know about you, but in the things I translate, there are often words, or small groups of words, in which the first letter is in upper case, and that doesn't get translated. For example, a segment might be:

"Thanks to the new Mirror Virtualization feature introduced in release 2, deduplication speed has been almost doubled."

In the translation, the feature name, here "Mirror Virtualization" will not be translated. This is presumably like that in all languages, and it happens all the time.

Right now I need to either re-type it, or reach the mouse, and copy-paste it. It's very frustrating as the software could easily guess what I want to do and help me to do it. I'm wasting hours doing that.

So, I would like to be able to select an option after which such phrases would be included in the non-translatable list (or the list I get with Ctrl+Alt+Down, whatever it's called), or in the Auto Suggest list when I enter the first letters.

Is this already possible by any chance?

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Sounds like you just need a variable list Oct 16, 2014

Hi Jacques,

Take a look at this article and it may well be what you're looking for, and also explains how to implement it in Studio - http://wp.me/p2xDjK-wr

In addition to working as shown in the article these variables can also be inserted using Ctrl+comma if they are not found from within the Translation Memory at all.

You could also add them to a termbase it you like... same source and target just to allow you to enter them through autosuggest.

Regards

Paul

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:21
Member (2008)
French to English
An old story Oct 16, 2014

I have been asking for this for years. It's another reason why I use SDL Studio for only one client for which I have to connect to their online TM. For all others I have switched to another CAT tool that doesn't have this limitation. See, for example:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/229973-studio_2011:_first_cap_placeables.html
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/205025-untranslateable_names_in_sdl_studio_2009.html

In one of the threads above Terminjector is mentioned - I have just downloaded it and will give it a try.

[Edited at 2014-10-16 21:03 GMT]

Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2003)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks + suggestions Oct 17, 2014

Paul: Thanks for your reply. I already add non-translateable phrases as terms when they come back often, but my point here is that I'd like more things to be auto-detected as potential untranslateable.

I have read the threads referenced by John where you say more about this issue and also your very interesting blog article. I will try Terminjector, and also possibly SDLTmFindVars (35 EUR), though none of them seems to do exactly what I'd like (see below).

John: Thanks for the pointers. I agree with all what you say in the 3-year old post.

What I'd like to have personally:

1. Being able to define a list of find-replace regexs, such that for every source text string matching the find regex, the replace regex is included in the placeable list.

2. And while we're at it, I would like an option to have placeable phrases appear as Auto Suggest entries as well.
(It is more convenient and intuitive to content-address the phrases by typing the first letters -- which will happen even if one doesn't realize that the software will help in entering the phrase -- than calling the placeable list and moving with arrows to select the correct entry.)

[Edited at 2014-10-17 09:54 GMT]

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
OT Oct 17, 2014

Jacques DP wrote:

This is presumably like that in all languages, and it happens all the time.

No, it isn't, for example in German. (Sorry, slightly off-topic, although this shows that such a function would need to be optional in any case).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggesting phrases with initial caps as non-translatables in Studio 2014

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search