Save file as unclean instead of automatically cleaning itself.
Thread poster: Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 15:44
Dec 15, 2004

I checked the forums about this earlier (http://www.proz.com/topic/25666 was of particular interest), and I am also "RTFM" at the moment, so apologies if some of you are sick of seeing this kind of question.

This concerns a MS Word doc and Trados 6.5.

Is there a macro or sthg I can run so that my word file is "unclean". I have it set so that the file cleans itself up automatica
... See more
I checked the forums about this earlier (http://www.proz.com/topic/25666 was of particular interest), and I am also "RTFM" at the moment, so apologies if some of you are sick of seeing this kind of question.

This concerns a MS Word doc and Trados 6.5.

Is there a macro or sthg I can run so that my word file is "unclean". I have it set so that the file cleans itself up automatically while I am translating. Usually after I close a translated segment, the original source text is automatically removed, saving me having to run "clean" afterwards.

I have to return the text as "unclean" this time, but I'm not sure how to revert back to this. I don't use Trados very often, so I don't know all the short-cuts and whizz-kid tricks. Pls advise, and save my bacon

Go raibh mile maith agaibh

Orla

[Edited at 2004-12-15 16:06]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:44
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You have allways had "unclean" files Dec 15, 2004

What you did was only hidding the source text.
Please check your view options (via Tools - Options menu). At least the field for "hidden text" should be checked - then you will see the source text as well.

But OTOH you do not need to do anything. Simple deliver the text as is - your customer will very probably have the hidden characters turned on...

In general it IS VERY ADVISABLE to show everything in Word - paragraph marks, tabulators, hidden text and so on. It
... See more
What you did was only hidding the source text.
Please check your view options (via Tools - Options menu). At least the field for "hidden text" should be checked - then you will see the source text as well.

But OTOH you do not need to do anything. Simple deliver the text as is - your customer will very probably have the hidden characters turned on...

In general it IS VERY ADVISABLE to show everything in Word - paragraph marks, tabulators, hidden text and so on. It may also help to better understand the document and formating structure, thus making less errors that way...

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Not that way Dec 15, 2004

Orla Ryan wrote:

I have to return the text as "unclean" this time, but I'm not sure how to revert back to this. I don't use Trados very often, so I don't know all the short-cuts and whizz-kid tricks. Pls advise, and save my bacon

Go raibh mile maith agaibh

Orla

[Edited at 2004-12-15 16:06]

The text is not removed, it's only hidden. Go in Word to Tools > Options > View and check the box "Hidden text". Afterthat you will see the hidden text.

What you have to do after translation, is only NO TO CLEAN the document, which is a function of Workbench, not of Word.

regards
Andrzej

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No 'automatic cleaning' Dec 15, 2004

Hi Orla,
Is there a macro or sthg I can run so that my word file is "unclean".

That doesn't exist, as a Word file is always in 'pre-cleanup' status as long as you're working with it.

I have it set so that the file cleans itself up automatically while I am translating. Usually after I close a translated segment, the original source text is automatically removed, saving me having to run "clean" afterwards.

That's a misconception - I assume you have set Word not to display non-printable characters, right? Two problems with this: first of all, you will inadvertently deliver pre-cleanup files (which can cause problems unless your customer expects them), and secondly, you might damage Trados tags while editing (which will result in problems during cleanup by your customer).

You should always keep non-printable characters visible while working with Trados in Word.

Best regards,
Ralf

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 15:44
TOPIC STARTER
YES :)) Dec 15, 2004

I knew it had to be something blindingly obvious!

The beer is on me guys! Thank you all.

Orla

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Pure genius... Dec 15, 2004

...pint-o-Guinness, thanks...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Save file as unclean instead of automatically cleaning itself.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »