Elise Le Mer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:01
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
Oct 23, 2014

Hi,

I have received a TMX file which my computer can't open.
After some investigation, I found out that the file was in Text - UTF-8 encoded format.
Can anyone explain how to open this in Studio 2011?

Thanks for your help.

Elise

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:01
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
import Oct 23, 2014

You can open tmx files with a free program "Olifant" (Okapi).
It is a translation memory that needs to be imported using the import function for a TM in Studio 2011.

Information lik
... See more
You can open tmx files with a free program "Olifant" (Okapi).
It is a translation memory that needs to be imported using the import function for a TM in Studio 2011.

Information like this might help:
http://tradoshelp.wordpress.com/2011/05/17/upgrading-importing-and-exporting-translation-memories-in-trados-studio-2009/

[Edited at 2014-10-23 17:20 GMT]
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 21:01
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
I think that further description would be useful .... Oct 24, 2014

... as to know the error message that appears would help a lot.

My own experience is that tmx files usually refuse to be imported due to invalid characters within them. So, you need to find and replace those characters before reattempting to import the file in your CAT tool of choice. So, you would need a TMX editor.

While I have been a user of Olifant for years, I found that it is not very good for spotting such mistakes, as it stops importing the tmx file once it find
... See more
... as to know the error message that appears would help a lot.

My own experience is that tmx files usually refuse to be imported due to invalid characters within them. So, you need to find and replace those characters before reattempting to import the file in your CAT tool of choice. So, you would need a TMX editor.

While I have been a user of Olifant for years, I found that it is not very good for spotting such mistakes, as it stops importing the tmx file once it finds the very first problem. Besides, it does not allow you to make any kind of QA on the file.

That is why I recommend you to use the Heartsome TMX editor, one of the brainchildren of the now defunct Chinese company Heartsome. It has become open source; the link for downloading it and a basic explanation about how to use it are available here:

http://translation-blog.com/heartsome-tm-editor/

Saludos
Collapse

Elise Le Mer
Elise Le Mer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:01
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Oct 31, 2014

Thank you to both for your answers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing a TMX file in Text - UTF-8 encoded format into Studio 2011

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »