How to convert NL-BE translation to NL-NL?
Thread poster: Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:28
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 23, 2014

Hi everyone,

I work for several clients in both Belgium and Dutch language pairs. The differences are minor, rather preferential. I have created two TM's for my clients, in order to keep these preferences clear.

What is best way to get my translation in one variant "imported" into the other, in order to make these minor changes?

The best way I can think of is continuously converting TM's (editing the language pairs in a text editor).
I might get fa
... See more
Hi everyone,

I work for several clients in both Belgium and Dutch language pairs. The differences are minor, rather preferential. I have created two TM's for my clients, in order to keep these preferences clear.

What is best way to get my translation in one variant "imported" into the other, in order to make these minor changes?

The best way I can think of is continuously converting TM's (editing the language pairs in a text editor).
I might get fast at that over time, but are there better ways?

I have tried copying the translated sdlxliff files into the desired language pair folder (in the project folder) as well as editing the language pair itself in notepad, but none of that works.

Thanks.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:28
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
how I do it Oct 23, 2014

Hi Lianne,

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean by "What is best way to get my translation in one variant "imported" into the other, in order to make these minor changes?".

I do it differently. In my CAT tool (CafeTran), all Dutch is handled as nl-NL and all English is handled as en-GB. If I receive a TM from a client that I want to use and it happens to be in Belgian Dutch or US English, it gets converted to nl-NL/en-GB before being imported i
... See more
Hi Lianne,

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean by "What is best way to get my translation in one variant "imported" into the other, in order to make these minor changes?".

I do it differently. In my CAT tool (CafeTran), all Dutch is handled as nl-NL and all English is handled as en-GB. If I receive a TM from a client that I want to use and it happens to be in Belgian Dutch or US English, it gets converted to nl-NL/en-GB before being imported into my CAT tool.

90% of my work is nl-NL > en-GB. If I need to translate into US English, I make any necessary changes after exporting the document from my CAT tool, in Word (using PerfectIT, among other things).

Michael

[Edited at 2014-10-23 17:26 GMT]
Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Focus on TM Oct 23, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:

Hi Lianne,

I do it differently. In my CAT tool (CafeTran), all Dutch is handled as nl-NL and all English is handled as en-GB. If I receive a TM from a client that I want to use and it happens to be in Belgian Dutch or US English, it gets converted to nl-NL/en-GB before being imported into my CAT tool.

90% of my work is nl-NL > en-GB. If I need to translate into US English, I make any necessary changes after exporting the document from my CAT tool, in Word (using PerfectIT, among other things).

Michael

[Edited at 2014-10-23 17:26 GMT]

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

My main focus (maybe wrongly?) is on maintaining proper tm's. I can export my target files and adjust them for one or the other variant. But I want to have these changes applied to the TM's for future use, because he texts are fairly repetitious: clinical trials with preferential differences such as (de) studie versus (het) onderzoek (and ALL their compound words). And I have to make these adjustments not just once but all the time.

I am not familiar with CafeTran, but this is the Trados forum btw

[Edited at 2014-10-23 17:53 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:28
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
my system results in less work than maintaining two sets of TMs and glossaries Oct 23, 2014

In that case, I think changing the language codes in a text editor and then merging the TMs in, e.g., the free Heartsome TMX editor is probably the easiest way to do this.

In my system, all that gets discarded is the few things that occasionally get changed when I have to localise a final document from en-GB to en-US before sending it to the client. A bit of a pain sometimes, but less trouble than maintaining two sets of TMs and glossaries.

My big TM repository (compri
... See more
In that case, I think changing the language codes in a text editor and then merging the TMs in, e.g., the free Heartsome TMX editor is probably the easiest way to do this.

In my system, all that gets discarded is the few things that occasionally get changed when I have to localise a final document from en-GB to en-US before sending it to the client. A bit of a pain sometimes, but less trouble than maintaining two sets of TMs and glossaries.

My big TM repository (comprising all my client-specific TMs and a few other things, such as the DGT stuff, CELEX, Apple, Gnome, Ubuntu, TAUS, etc. etc. etc.) is 100% nl-NL and en-GB.

Michael
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:28
English
If you're not... Oct 23, 2014

... worried about maintaining a distinction between the variants (many users are), then why not use AnyTM. This is a free application from the SDL OpenExchange which allows you to add any TM you like, and either work with it in read only mode, or write to it.

You didn't say what version of the software you are us
... See more
... worried about maintaining a distinction between the variants (many users are), then why not use AnyTM. This is a free application from the SDL OpenExchange which allows you to add any TM you like, and either work with it in read only mode, or write to it.

You didn't say what version of the software you are using so I'm assuming Studio 2014.

You can also read about this app which can do a lot more than just this here:

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2013/02/28/its-all-english-right/

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2014/02/12/supertm/

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
AnyTM Oct 24, 2014

Thanks for your reply, Paul, and the useful pointer to AnyTM. I thought of something like that, so I am going to check it out. My goal is to be able to access (search) and update the specific variant, while still being able to use other integrated resources, such as AnyTM, if I understand it correctly.

Yes, I use Studio 2014.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:28
English
That's what it will allow you to do... Oct 24, 2014

Hi Lianne,

The app will allow you to read/search and even update the specific variant whilst using other integrated resources. It's just like adding a TM. You select AnyTM from the list of providers instead of File-based TM and then select your TM... any Tm you like!

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert NL-BE translation to NL-NL?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »