beginner's editing question for Trados
Thread poster: David Warwick
David Warwick  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:48
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Dec 18, 2004

I am just getting to grips with Trados, I have version 6.5. When translating I normally leave an "xxx" next to parts I am unsure of and will have to return to. My concern is that with Trados these "xxx" would be included in the memory. Is this the case? If so, can anyone suggest a more efficient way of flagging queries for future reference? Thanks for your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Gary Daine
English to Spanish
+ ...
I do the same Dec 18, 2004

I have been using Trados for many years and I do exactly the same.
(Well, almost - I use the "

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:48
English to German
+ ...
Avoid using "code" characters... Dec 18, 2004

Gary,
Your post was cut off because the 'smaller than' symbol was mis-interpreted by the forum software; check the forum FAQ for the appropriate functions. Here's your complete posting (edited for that problem):

Gary Daine wrote:

I have been using Trados for many years and I do exactly the same.
(Well, almost - I use the 'smaller than' symbol, which is very handy on a Spanish keyboard, and I even have a macro to look for it later.)

Yes, the symbol does get included in the TM, but only temporarily - when you go back and solve the problem one way or the other, make sure you *open the segment* and remove the mark when you make your correction. When you close the segment, the old text will be overwritten in the TM.

You might like to look at Ando Tools (http://soukie.wz.cz) which includes a slightly more refined method of doing essentially the same thing, as well as other utilities (and it's free).

Gary

Best regards,
Ralf

Gary Daine
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Dec 18, 2004

Thanks for pointing this out;,however, the FAQ are not exactly very explicit on this point, unless you are referring to HTML code, which I wasn't actually trying to use.
Anyway, now I know.

Gary

David Warwick  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:48
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Dec 20, 2004

That ought to fix it. Thanks very much for your help and the link

David

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

beginner's editing question for Trados

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search