https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/277189-auto_check_for_names_of_months.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Auto-check for names of months?
Thread poster: Val1
Val1
Val1
Croatia
Nov 4, 2014

Do you know is it possible to set Studio to check if the names of months have been translated correctly? E.g. give a warning if "January" is translated as "Februar"? It would be great if there is an option which would basically state:

If there is "XXX" in source
check translation
If the proper translation "YYY" is not found in translation
give warning
(and take into account multiple instances of XXX if any)

If anyone knows it would be great. Than
... See more
Do you know is it possible to set Studio to check if the names of months have been translated correctly? E.g. give a warning if "January" is translated as "Februar"? It would be great if there is an option which would basically state:

If there is "XXX" in source
check translation
If the proper translation "YYY" is not found in translation
give warning
(and take into account multiple instances of XXX if any)

If anyone knows it would be great. Thanks
Collapse

Amending Your TM Nov 4, 2014

Hi There,

Studio will only recommend a translation from the Translation Memory you have aligned.

Providing the translation of a month is correct in your TM then you will not receive any alternative translation.

If you need to make an amendment to your TM, you can so from within Studio by doing the following -

Select the "File" menu, then select "Open TM" you will then see a list of your TM's then open the one you need to amend by double clickin
... See more
Hi There,

Studio will only recommend a translation from the Translation Memory you have aligned.

Providing the translation of a month is correct in your TM then you will not receive any alternative translation.

If you need to make an amendment to your TM, you can so from within Studio by doing the following -

Select the "File" menu, then select "Open TM" you will then see a list of your TM's then open the one you need to amend by double clicking it.

Then you can perform a search the translation you need to amend in the source or target text, when you have found it, double click to edit the translation.

Hope this helps you.

Kind Regards,

Steve Barlow

SDL Customer Experience Executive.
Collapse

Val1
Val1
Croatia
TOPIC STARTER
String consistency Nov 4, 2014

Hi and thanks for your reply!

That is ok if you already have a TM. But I had more in mind an option that checks if there is string XXX then there should be string YYY in target (perhaps within the QC). Do you know if this is possible?

[Edited at 2014-11-04 16:52 GMT]

Richard Lackey (X)
Richard Lackey (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Termbase Nov 4, 2014

I would suggest that you build a simple Termbase with the months of the year and any other common words that you may like to include. You can then add the Termbase to all projects through File>Options and also ensure that the QA checks include "Check for possible non-usage of the target terms: Warning" (or Error) under "Terminology Settings".

You can build a Termbase very quickly using Excel and Glossary Converter, it should only take 5 minutes!

I use this simple techn
... See more
I would suggest that you build a simple Termbase with the months of the year and any other common words that you may like to include. You can then add the Termbase to all projects through File>Options and also ensure that the QA checks include "Check for possible non-usage of the target terms: Warning" (or Error) under "Terminology Settings".

You can build a Termbase very quickly using Excel and Glossary Converter, it should only take 5 minutes!

I use this simple technique for things like company names, i.e. if "Company A" is in the source text then I want to check that it is written correctly in the target text too. You can easily add terms to a Termbase as you translate (Control + F2).

Unfortunately, I don't think this will get around the problem of multiple occurrences of the same word in a segment as I believe it will only check whether or not the word is in the target segment, rather than the number of occurrences.
Collapse

Val1
Val1
Croatia
TOPIC STARTER
Termbase Nov 4, 2014

It would still be useful. Could you possibly spare some time to show me how to make a termbase? I noticed the option in Studio and tried playing with it, but I stopped when I realised I had to make one myself and had no idea how.

Richard Lackey (X)
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Creating a Termbase Nov 4, 2014

Have a look at this link which should help you get started:
http://foxdocs.biz/BetweenTranslations/the-quick-way-to-convert-glossaries-and-termbases-between-excel-and-multiterm/

You just need to create an Excel with the source in one column and the target text in the other, then use Glossary Converter.
... See more
Have a look at this link which should help you get started:
http://foxdocs.biz/BetweenTranslations/the-quick-way-to-convert-glossaries-and-termbases-between-excel-and-multiterm/

You just need to create an Excel with the source in one column and the target text in the other, then use Glossary Converter.

I think this is a good technique. Of course, you may get some false positives based on words that are similar to the months but it's worth a try.
Collapse

Val1
Val1
Croatia
TOPIC STARTER
Termbase Nov 4, 2014

Ok, one last thing before I give it a shot. Because the target language is inflected I cannot simply for "January" write the word in nominative case but I need to use the stem. For instance:
"January" in source is in Croatian "siječanj". But siječanj can be inflected and I presume that the termbase doesn't recognise OR function, right? You cannot write multiple possible translations?
In that case I would use "siječ" which is a stem of the word siječanj that never changes, but the
... See more
Ok, one last thing before I give it a shot. Because the target language is inflected I cannot simply for "January" write the word in nominative case but I need to use the stem. For instance:
"January" in source is in Croatian "siječanj". But siječanj can be inflected and I presume that the termbase doesn't recognise OR function, right? You cannot write multiple possible translations?
In that case I would use "siječ" which is a stem of the word siječanj that never changes, but the word itself in translation will appear as siječanj, siječnja, siječnju etc., never as siječ. Will this work? If it will not, can I use an asterisk in a termbase ("siječ*")?
Collapse

Richard Lackey (X)
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Trial and error Nov 4, 2014

I can't say for sure as my language pairs are not affected by this type of issue.

You can add multiple entries, and multiple target entries so that could be one way around this.

You could also create a Termbase with the stem words such as siječ. The asterisk is not necessary as the Termbase will also search for fuzzy matches of the term (I'm not sure if an asterisk will work in this sense or not). However, this may lead to more false positives and therefore may mean t
... See more
I can't say for sure as my language pairs are not affected by this type of issue.

You can add multiple entries, and multiple target entries so that could be one way around this.

You could also create a Termbase with the stem words such as siječ. The asterisk is not necessary as the Termbase will also search for fuzzy matches of the term (I'm not sure if an asterisk will work in this sense or not). However, this may lead to more false positives and therefore may mean that this technique is less useful.

I think you'll just have to give it a go! In any case, learning to make Termbases is a useful tool.

Please let us know how you get on. I'm sure it'll be interesting for other translators too!
Collapse

Val1
Val1
Croatia
TOPIC STARTER
Termbase Nov 4, 2014

I will try and will let you know of the results. Thanks a lot again!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:06
English
Couple of points to note... Nov 5, 2014

... that might be helpful.

First of all dates should be recognised (if they are full dates and not just the months you are referring to?) so if you don't translate the date correctly the QA settings should be warning you as you work.

Secondly, you could have course create QA rules in the verification checks to correctly report the localisation of dates. For example under the regex rules just add this:

Source: \bJanuary\b
Target: \bJanu
... See more
... that might be helpful.

First of all dates should be recognised (if they are full dates and not just the months you are referring to?) so if you don't translate the date correctly the QA settings should be warning you as you work.

Secondly, you could have course create QA rules in the verification checks to correctly report the localisation of dates. For example under the regex rules just add this:

Source: \bJanuary\b
Target: \bJanuar\b
Condition: Report if source matches but not target

You'd need a rule for each month, but you can have as many as you like so not too difficult.

Thirdly, you could also use the Terminjector from the OpenExchange which can replace the dates presented in the TM Results window with whatever you like based on an expression. There's an article on this here that might be interesting for you.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Val1
Val1
Croatia
TOPIC STARTER
Regular Expressions Nov 5, 2014

That does seem like a really neat trick but I can't get it work. I did the following:

Tools > Options > Regular Expressions
I ticked Search Regular Expressions
I entered the description, the source "\bDecember\b" and the target "\bprosin\b"
I chose Report if Source matches but not the Target
I ticked Ignore case
Action > Add item

I can now see it below. In the text I have e.g. in source "31 December 2013" and in target "31. prosinca 2013.
... See more
That does seem like a really neat trick but I can't get it work. I did the following:

I entered the description, the source "\bDecember\b" and the target "\bprosin\b"
I ticked Ignore case
Action > Add item

I can now see it below. In the text I have e.g. in source "31 December 2013" and in target "31. prosinca 2013." (with unbreakable spaces in target). I tried changing "prosinca" to "posinca" or deleting it and running the QA with F8 but Studio doesn't report any errors.

Any ideas?

edit: is it possible to also check for multiple instances with this method? If there are 2x January in source, check if there are 2xsiječ in target?

[Edited at 2014-11-05 11:16 GMT]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
To Val1 Nov 5, 2014

Please do not reload the page with opened editing window, otherwise your post is de-vetted each time.

Thanks.

Val1
Val1
Croatia
TOPIC STARTER
Reload Nov 5, 2014

I won't, thanks for the tip.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Make sure you... Nov 5, 2014

Val1 wrote:

I ticked Ignore case
Action > Add item

I can now see it below. In the text I have e.g. in source "31 December 2013" and in target "31. prosinca 2013." (with unbreakable spaces in target). I tried changing "prosinca" to "posinca" or deleting it and running the QA with F8 but Studio doesn't report any errors.

Any ideas?

...are adding this in the right place. File -> Options for all new Projects (Tools -> Options for Studio 2011), Project Settings for existing ones.

Regards

Paul

Val1
Val1
Croatia
TOPIC STARTER
Reg. expressions Nov 5, 2014

That was it, of course. Ok, I tested it. E.g. for "December" I have "prosin" in an expression. In the text I have "prosinca" and it still reports an error unless I change it to exactly "prosin". I presume I would need to change the expression, do you know how?

The second thing is the month May, which also appears in English as the verb may. This produces false positives unfortunately. I guess the only solution here is
... See more
That was it, of course. Ok, I tested it. E.g. for "December" I have "prosin" in an expression. In the text I have "prosinca" and it still reports an error unless I change it to exactly "prosin". I presume I would need to change the expression, do you know how?

The second thing is the month May, which also appears in English as the verb may. This produces false positives unfortunately. I guess the only solution here is the ignore case option, no other ideas?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Auto-check for names of months?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »