Once Again, Trados is Holding My Translation Hostage
Thread poster: pmakinen
pmakinen  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:59
Member (2005)
Russian to English
+ ...
Nov 6, 2014

And OF COURSE, this happens at deadline time (I was using Trados because Dragon appears to work better in Trados than in Word rtf files; I would have been better off to have forgotten about Trados use for anything time-critical)

Trados 2014, 64-bit Windows 7

=====================================

Tag Verify finds no errors, but but Trados is refusing to allow me to save my target file (I even tested saving the file at various intermediate points, and was successful)
========================================
Error message:

Failed to save target content. Placeholder was moved. Please run Tag Verification to see more details.

=========================

I did copy some formatting tag pairs (but they were only formatting tags, and I wanted to copy the italic font) from one translation unit to another earlier today--maybe that was the problem.

Maybe I can persuade CafeTran or some other SDLXLIFF-capable software to save the file...

Direct link Reply with quote

Member (2005)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Joy Yet Nov 6, 2014

The best I've been able to do so far is get Studio to cough up a bilingual word file, with each translation unit as a two-line table.

MemoQ says my document is missing an XML start tag and refuses to save the target from the SDLXLIFF file.

Cafetran won't even import the SDLXLIFF file past 100 translation units...but maybe that has something to do with the upgrade to Win 7 a few months ago.

All I want is my translated file--I'm puzzled because I already successfully round-tripped the file several times before now...Just one translated file doesn't seem like too much to expect.

Trados is just too high-risk for the files I deal with, I guess.

[Edited at 2014-11-06 20:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-11-06 21:04 GMT]

Jean-Pierre Artigau
Canada
Local time: 08:59
English to French
+ ...
Some tricks Nov 6, 2014

1. From your editor view, push F8; the system will verify your text and tell you if there are any errors you might have to correct at one particular segment.
2. Make sure you have saved your text in Trados before you try and convert it to its original format.
3. Update your main translation memory with your current text, then rename a copy of your original text in the source language and load it into Trados as a new text for translation (in the same "project"). At the "prepare" stage, it should translate automatically because all your segments are already in your translation memory. Then you might be able to convert it into your initial format.
3. If this doesn't work, you will have to start with your last "intermediate" conversion and complete it from there.

Good luck

Jean-Pierre

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:59
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
a few options Nov 6, 2014

pmakinen wrote:

The best I've been able to do so far is get Studio to cough up a bilingual word file, with each translation unit as a two-line table.

MemoQ says my document is missing an XML start tag and refuses to save the target from the SDLXLIFF file.

Cafetran won't even import the SDLXLIFF file past 100 translation units...but maybe that has something to do with the upgrade to Win 7 a few months ago.

All I want is my translated file--I'm puzzled because I already successfully round-tripped the file several times before now...Just one translated file doesn't seem like too much to expect.

Trados is just too high-risk for the files I deal with, I guess.

[Edited at 2014-11-06 20:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-11-06 20:41 GMT]

Just thinking out loud, but an option might be to generate a TMX from the SDLXLIFF file and re-translate the document in another CAT tool… Depends on how big it is I suppose, and on the amount of work entailed by segmentation differences etc.

Incidentally, did you use the trial or full version of CT? You could also try sending your problematic SDLXLIFF file to Igor (CafeTran's developer), as he might be able to tell you where the error is in the file. Several CT users regularly translate SDLXLIFF files, but I'm not sure how CT handles broken SDLXLIFF files.

Michael

Longer term suggestion (at the risk of veering off topic): Ditch that hideous monstrosity and get a CAT tool designed for/by us, not them.

[Edited at 2014-11-07 00:18 GMT]

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:59
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Idea Nov 7, 2014

pmakinen wrote:

And OF COURSE, this happens at deadline time (I was using Trados because Dragon appears to work better in Trados than in Word rtf files

This may not be viable solution to your problem, but still: I've had the experience that sometimes DNS will insert invisible control characters that make Trados cough (and as stupid as SDL software is from the point of view of usability, it refuses to produce anything at all, instead of just skipping the faulty segment).

Anyway, I've been able to solve this by copying the faulty segment into an ASCII editor and back again, or by simply retyping the segment from scratch. The problem being, of course, to find out which segments are affected.

HTH,
Erik

[Bearbeitet am 2014-11-07 09:21 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Have you tried... Nov 7, 2014

... re-translating the file? Open the original source file again so it's clean (just use the single document approach, so don't create a standard Project), and then add your TM and pre-translate the file. Now immediately save the target file.

Chances are this will work. If it doesn't feel free to send me the original source, and the fully translated sdlxliff file and I can take a look (if it's acceptable for you to share the files?)

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Member (2005)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 7, 2014

Erik Freitag wrote:

This may not be viable solution to your problem, but still: I've had the experience that sometimes DNS will insert invisible control characters that make Trados cough (and as stupid as SDL software is from the point of view of usability, it refuses to produce anything at all, instead of just skipping the faulty segment).

Anyway, I've been able to solve this by copying the faulty segment into an ASCII editor and back again, or by simply retyping the segment from scratch. The problem being, of course, to find out which segments are affected.

HTH,
Erik

[Bearbeitet am 2014-11-07 09:21 GMT]

Thanks for potentially explaining the mystery--Dragon was also involved in both of the recent occasions where this has happened.

Member (2005)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try to Send the File Nov 7, 2014

Chances are this will work. If it doesn't feel free to send me the original source, and the fully translated sdlxliff file and I can take a look (if it's acceptable for you to share the files?)

This file is generic enough that I might actually be able to get the customer's approval to send it on to you.

Besides, the whole point here is to keep it from happening again, if possible, and I think the first step to doing *that* is to find out exactly what happens when the problem occurs.

Thanks for responding.

[Edited at 2014-11-08 02:01 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Solution Nov 7, 2014

pmakinen wrote:

the whole point here is to keep it from happening again, if possible

Well, the solution is well known and has been for a decade (I'm including the old trados versions here, which had the same issue). When you start working on a file, the first thing you do before translating should be to try exporting it. If it exports without errors and the generated file works, it will likely export without issues after translation as well. If there is a problem, you have ample time to resolve it and you're not reduced to a frantic struggle right before (or after) your deadline.

Member (2005)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I Did This Step Nov 8, 2014

FarkasAndras wrote:

When you start working on a file, the first thing you do before translating should be to try exporting it. If it exports without errors and the generated file works, it will likely export without issues after translation as well. If there is a problem, you have ample time to resolve it and you're not reduced to a frantic struggle right before (or after) your deadline.

In my original post, I mentioned that I was indeed able to export a satisfactory translated file shortly after I first started working on the job, and one additional time after that, so I think the file was originally okay.

Something must have happened after that...

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:59
English to Italian
Info Nov 17, 2014

Hello,
I am from SDL and wonder if your issue has been resolved?
Hope it has.
Kind regards
Massi

Member (2005)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, But Not Really Nov 18, 2014

ghislandi wrote:

Hello,
I am from SDL and wonder if your issue has been resolved?
Hope it has.
Kind regards
Massi

Apologies for the inflammatory title to this thread, which I posted in desperation after Trados refused to export the file (even after successfully saving the translated file at an intermediate point)...

I was able to export the translation via cut and paste, and PaulF was also kind enough to send me a copy of the translated file that he got by retranslating my original file using the data in the SDLXLIFF, but I'm still in the dark as to *why* the problem happened.

Are there any good XLIFF analysis tools that will find misplaced tags better than the Tag Verify option in Trados 2014?

My hope was that we could either identify a Trados bug or find a specific problem in my SDLXLIFF file.

-p

[Edited at 2014-11-19 00:59 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Once Again, Trados is Holding My Translation Hostage

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search