SDL Trados 2014 Glossaries: Unable to import converted Excel glossary into MultiTerm
Thread poster: Kristin Lynch

Kristin Lynch  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:39
Spanish to English
Nov 6, 2014

Hello everyone,

I am experiencing some difficulty importing my converted Excel glossary into my MultiTerm term-base. I used an online tutorial and SDL MultiTerm 2014 Convert to successfully convert my bilingual Spanish-English Excel glossary into a .mtf file. I then created a new term-base in MuliTerm and was ready to import my converted Excel glossary. I clicked on "term-base management" at the bottom left-hand corner of my screen, and then clicked on the "import option."

I right-clicked on the default import option and then clicked on process. I was brought to a new screen where I was able to import my converted glossary. I chose the fast-import option and then received a message that twenty out of twenty entries were processed.

However, when I click on the terms tab, I am only able to see and edit one entry. Although it states that I have twenty entries in my term base, I am only seeing one entry.

Has anyone every encountered this problem before? If so, I would truly appreciate any advice you can give as to how you resolved it. I know that there is a Converter application, which I might have to give a try.

Thank you in advance for your time and help!

(If needed, I can try and upload a screen-shot of what is happening.)

Direct link Reply with quote

Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 21:39
English to Chinese
Try clicking on the Browse button Nov 7, 2014

Hi Kristin,

It sounds to me that your import procedure went well.
Did you try clicking on the Browse button which is beneath the Terms window to the very left? That might solve the problem.

http://screencast.com/t/RjrfGYTKI6p

Chunyi

Kristin Lynch wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am experiencing some difficulty importing my converted Excel glossary into my MultiTerm term-base. I used an online tutorial and SDL MultiTerm 2014 Convert to successfully convert my bilingual Spanish-English Excel glossary into a .mtf file. I then created a new term-base in MuliTerm and was ready to import my converted Excel glossary. I clicked on "term-base management" at the bottom left-hand corner of my screen, and then clicked on the "import option."

I right-clicked on the default import option and then clicked on process. I was brought to a new screen where I was able to import my converted glossary. I chose the fast-import option and then received a message that twenty out of twenty entries were processed.

However, when I click on the terms tab, I am only able to see and edit one entry. Although it states that I have twenty entries in my term base, I am only seeing one entry.

Has anyone every encountered this problem before? If so, I would truly appreciate any advice you can give as to how you resolved it. I know that there is a Converter application, which I might have to give a try.

Thank you in advance for your time and help!

(If needed, I can try and upload a screen-shot of what is happening.)

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:39
English
The advice from... Nov 7, 2014

... Chunyi makes sense. But it's also worth noting you do have an easier option for converting spreadsheets to termbases with the Glossary Converter. This has been available since Sept 2012 so the article is a little outdated, but the principle is still the same.

As you have Studio 20014 you might also like to look at the Glossary Plugin which works directly from Studio 2014 and uses the Converter as well. Both are free applications and available to you as a Studio user. There's another short video on this here which might be interesting too.

Regards

Paul

Kristin Lynch  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:39
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you- Will try again taking advice into mind Nov 14, 2014

Hello Chunyi and Paul,

I would like to apologize for the late reply. Thank you both for your help and support regarding this issue. I am going to try the conversion process again following your advice.
Chunyi, I will certainly make sure to click on the "browse" button below the Terms window, which I failed to do the first time. Paul, thank you for the link to the Glossary Plugin and the instructional video. I will be sure to let you know if I am still encountering any problems.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2014 Glossaries: Unable to import converted Excel glossary into MultiTerm

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search